The Middle Tennessee Thread

Ok do you butcher by size or age? or does that depend on breed????

Lori.... SOOOOO Glad you hubby didn't get that roo for dinner
love.gif

Noooo!
sad.png
they are still small anyway. They huat have filled out more since ive gotten them. Their combs are finally turning colors( pink)

d
Donna, it depends on breed. Cornish crosses are almost fully grown at age of 6 or 7 weeks and are butchered then. Jersey Giants take longer to mature so they will be grown out around 10 months I believe. Maybe more.

When we had JG's we did some at 8 months and they we already not worth the effort..your limited to soup or a pressure cooker unless you enjoy chewing tough rubber.
Well,hubby says I need to cut back more since my not at home schedule is I'm gone all Spring every weekend and he has to work and do all of my critters I don't have with me so I'm willing to compromise some...
I'm going to let my young RIR Roo go he hatched early July and tried his first crow the other day..dark red not that hatchery red stock.Also available is my avaitor roo,a trio of mottled bantam Cochins,MFC/calico Roos,1 Buff Columbian bantam Cochin hen-not going to find them many places,2 silkie hens not sure yet about any more
I'm going to plan Feb 18th for a meet up in the M'Boro area for anyone that wants to come.I will have the cookies with me...then if the weather turns horrible we can reschedule for the following weekend before the rabbit show season kicks in.I need some ideas for good lunch spots
idunno.gif

Sorry I went MIA on everyone been busy packing. We actually did close on the house. Donna it is in North Georgia, Adairsville to be exact. Okla 3,343 to be exact but it includes a full basement. The house really is not that big. The basement will be the boys minus the laundry room of course which is big enough to also hold brooders and bators. The previous owner was a vet so there is some pretty cool areas in the garage that can hold quarantine birds or broody's. Already has heat lamps installed. Not sure what she kept there but I know what I will be using that space for. Holly 5 acres does fill up fast but there is a million dollar farm for sale joining us in the back so I am gonna see about getting a few more acres. No way a million dollar farm is gonna sell with this economy, so he may as well sell me a few acres right.
fl.gif
I can live with 5 either way I only plan on having chickens. I will be getting a very nice barn to start back up with breeding pens. I don't see myself getting other breeds ever. I have what I want and I don't ever want to be bigger than I can handle and still give my birds the best care. Small number high quality, 50 adult birds should do me.

I will miss our meet ups but hope to pop in occasionally. I will be incorporating our place here into our rental business and the new place is only 2 hrs away. I do plan to still follow this thread unless you all give me the boot. I will still attend my normal shows in this area and no doubt will bump into some of you all there. My place is only 20 mins from Dalton so it will be a nice place to sleep over on your way to Newnan or Dalton.

Congrats on everyone's hatches. I hatched 19 myself. Most will be rehomed.

Okla and Country I love to watch my birds play. The Showgirls have the best personalities of any bird I have dealt with. They just seem to know they are special.

Happy New Year everyone.
Gotta go pack for the 3rd time in 7 mths. I have the keys to the house this time.
wee.gif
Oh and a bank note to prove it it actually mine.
barnie.gif

Congrats on the new place. Moveing is a pain but some how I always enjoy it! Good luck on getting it all set up like you want it. Maybe they will have a good Georgia group you can join.

Brrr. the cold has arrived! and its going to get worse they say. I have to do a little more winterizing on the guniea pig shed today. I put the heater on last night but need to close a couple of drafts. Anyone need any I have lots and they are cheap!

Congrats again Tish! The million dollar farm, don't be to sure it will not sell. People that can afford that have not really be affected by the economy so that part of the market has not slowed down... the farm thing might be the kicker though but good luck and I hope you get some more land.

Holly.... Feb 18 is the Newnan Show... can you do another weekend Please?

I have more eggs in the Bator than I know what I am going to do.... I think another 50 or so and still collecting
lau.gif
. I have about 1/2 that are EE x Leghorn, and the other 1/2 are Lavender Split Ameraucanas unless the Lav pullet is laying then I will get some Lavs
clap.gif

All the girls in the new breeding pens are just on strike! I think I got 2 eggs yesterday from them
barnie.gif
There are lots of trees and it is in a valley with hills all around so they must not be getting enough sun. I hope that is not the case in the summer
th.gif
Maybe that will just help keep them cool.

Finally feel like I am getting my head above water with these chickens. Getting 3 leghorn pullets (one is laying already
celebrate.gif
) from Phillip this week and some hatching eggs. I think I am done on getting birds it is just too hard to find a place to quarantine and then integrate them, just to long too.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Donna's right The only houses we have been working in are million plus the contractor says business is just as good now as before.
Oops forgot about the chicken show..we can do it the following weekend.I'm booked every weekend in March at rabbit shows in GA KY and AL so got to get it in before and the cookies don't come in until late on the 12th.

Happy New Year everyone, hope its a good one for all!! We will see if the zombie apocalypse actually happens in December and if so I am sure our chicken friends will help us through it!!! LOL!!!

caf.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom