The Middle Tennessee Thread

Merry Christmas, everyone. The past week has been wonderful and busy - although today has been very quiet and relaxed. We saw "Les Miserables" (the movie) today - and it was wonderful.

One day I can go see a movie again..... been about 5 years since I was at a theater..... before I got married....

IS everyone ready for the winter weather tomorrow? So glad I got the plastic up on ALL the pens last week. I don't know if that had anything to do with the fact that I got 13 eggs from my Marans pen today. And EVERY hen in the other pen laid an egg up front too..... 34 eggs and I didn't even get to double check in the back because it was raining. I have not seen that many eggs in a LONG TIME!

One day I can go see a movie again..... been about 5 years since I was at a theater..... before I got married....

IS everyone ready for the winter weather tomorrow? So glad I got the plastic up on ALL the pens last week. I don't know if that had anything to do with the fact that I got 13 eggs from my Marans pen today. And EVERY hen in the other pen laid an egg up front too..... 34 eggs and I didn't even get to double check in the back because it was raining. I have not seen that many eggs in a LONG TIME!

I got 5 eggs today - out of about 27 that should be laying. Mine are molting big-time. It looks like a pillow fight in the pens. Maybe I should put plastic around the runs.

Quote:
I put plastic over the top of the back pens, mostly to keep the rain out. It will NEVER dry this time of year so, the more water I can keep out the better. The front pens are kinda in a valley and it get VERY windy through there. You know as you are coming up my drive when you first turn in there are BIG trees to one side. When a storm came up it uprooted 2 of those trees..... It is just a wind tunnel though there. In the back 40 are 2 BIG ridges and the winds can really come through them right up the drive and down through my front pens...... It has really helped keep the wind out. Will 20+ guinea and 17 marans it stays nice and warm in there I am sure when the wind is not blowing up their skirts.
lol.png

If you do it put it up with those nails with plastic washer type things on them..... OK GUYS what are they called? We got 2 BIG boxes at that auction for $10 and some deck screws too.

I hadn't really thought about how it doesn't dry out much during the winter. The run is a mess - so muddy! I'm planning on spreading out a LOT of pine shavings to make the run "look pretty" when I have a ladies' meeting over here next week - but the pine shavings should help dry it out a little, too. Should be a little easier on the chickens' feet.

Wow! Looks like we're in for some interesting weather the next couple days.

I hadn't really thought about how it doesn't dry out much during the winter. The run is a mess - so muddy! I'm planning on spreading out a LOT of pine shavings to make the run "look pretty" when I have a ladies' meeting over here next week - but the pine shavings should help dry it out a little, too. Should be a little easier on the chickens' feet.

Wow! Looks like we're in for some interesting weather the next couple days.
Does everyone us pine shavings on the mud....or straw.....I'm not sure, this will be my first winter and I use the shavings and the layer method in the coop and it works pretty good, but I'm not sure what to put out on the run.....
any advice?

Does everyone us pine shavings on the mud....or straw.....I'm not sure, this will be my first winter and I use the shavings and the layer method in the coop and it works pretty good, but I'm not sure what to put out on the run.....
any advice?

You don't have to put anything in the run. I have a ladies group that meets at my house occasionally - and they always like to go see the chickens. So, for aesthetic purposes, I pile on the pine shavings so it'll look and smell nice - especially when it's wet - and the chickens LOVE scratching around in it. When I throw out scratch, they have to search for it - and that's good for them. I also figure it's better for their feet not to be standing around in mud and water. I keep pine shavings (deep litter method) in the coop, too - and sand/Sweet PDZ under the roosts. I just add shavings to the run when it gets bare and muddy - or when I'm expecting company.

I hope others tell about how they keep their runs - always looking for new and helpful ideas.

Last edited:
I don't like to put pine shavings in my runs, it would cost me a small fortune to do that. I have gravel in all my runs, but the ones in the back, my breeding pens are the only ones that don't have covered runs.... until I put the plastic over them From what I have read, sand and creek gravel seem the easiest, both drain really well. My creek gravel, from my creeks has a lot of dirt in it so I have mud too.

It seems odd to me, but all of the sudden I am hearing all kinds of reasons NOT to use pine shavings. The first was from Leah and the vet told her not to use it, and then I read a store about someone that had used straw and tried pine shavings and most of her chickens got sick. NOW after saying that, I am not going to stop using pine shavings.... I have not seen any problems in my birds. But I don't like the smell of wet pine shavings
sickbyc.gif

I don't like to put pine shavings in my runs, it would cost me a small fortune to do that. I have gravel in all my runs, but the ones in the back, my breeding pens are the only ones that don't have covered runs.... until I put the plastic over them From what I have read, sand and creek gravel seem the easiest, both drain really well. My creek gravel, from my creeks has a lot of dirt in it so I have mud too.

It seems odd to me, but all of the sudden I am hearing all kinds of reasons NOT to use pine shavings. The first was from Leah and the vet told her not to use it, and then I read a store about someone that had used straw and tried pine shavings and most of her chickens got sick. NOW after saying that, I am not going to stop using pine shavings.... I have not seen any problems in my birds. But I don't like the smell of wet pine shavings
sickbyc.gif
so what are you supposed to use for litter in the coop if you cant use pine shavings I knew you could not use cedar shavings but I had not heard of pine beings toxic also.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom