The Middle Tennessee Thread

I set 41 eggs today: a mix of LF bbs Orps, EEs and EE over BCM. This is the first time ever for me so please send good vibes.
fl.gif

And a friend is going to set whatever I collect this week on Saturday so that way if I am a complete failure at least I will have some baby chicks since she has alot of experience incubating eggs.

I think I have a broody hen...she has been sitting in that box for over a week... I think I want her to hatch the eggs, just to see.... The kids would like it. What should I do to make her comfy? Right now I have 20 month old chicks in the broody pen, I guess by the time she hatches, I should be able to move them out and into the big pen....

Any tips?? I am not sure if I know whatI am doing...lol

Rachel

I think I have a broody hen...she has been sitting in that box for over a week... I think I want her to hatch the eggs, just to see.... The kids would like it. What should I do to make her comfy? Right now I have 20 month old chicks in the broody pen, I guess by the time she hatches, I should be able to move them out and into the big pen....

Any tips?? I am not sure if I know whatI am doing...lol

Rachel
Just make sure she's kind of separated. Mine in the past have tried to move nests or gather other eggs to add to what is underneath her presently. I've let a broody hatch 3 years in a row now. MUCH easier than raising chicks on your own. I separated mine at various points but made sure they were separated at hatch. My nest box was too high for the chicks to climb back into if they got out. I just made a make shift temp run off the main coop for mom and the babies. Then returned mom to the main flock around 6-7 weeks of age. You will know because she will be ready to get away from the younger ones.

Lots of ways to do it. Oh, and sometimes they will toss out the eggs that don't develop but you should candle and check for yourself as well.

T
Just make sure she's kind of separated. Mine in the past have tried to move nests or gather other eggs to add to what is underneath her presently. I've let a broody hatch 3 years in a row now. MUCH easier than raising chicks on your own. I separated mine at various points but made sure they were separated at hatch. My nest box was too high for the chicks to climb back into if they got out. I just made a make shift temp run off the main coop for mom and the babies. Then returned mom to the main flock around 6-7 weeks of age. You will know because she will be ready to get away from the younger ones.

Lots of ways to do it. Oh, and sometimes they will toss out the eggs that don't develop but you should candle and check for yourself as well.

Thanks!! I wonder if hubby will appreciate building another temp run for me...lol

So sorry to hear about your little leghorn, ChickQueen and the first Sebright. I hope the second one continues to get stronger and more active. I have one little bantam leghorn I got when I ordered bantam ameraucana eggs from LittleAmericaunaMom here on BYC. They had to mailed though, she's not local.

Also let me know when you have some silver sebright chicks or eggs for sale. If I haven't found any by then, I'll want to get some from you. I want some so bad
droolin.gif

Hello all! I'm new to BackyardChickens.com and new to backyard chickens in general. We live practically in downtown Nashville (8th south for those of you who know the area) so many of our neighbors think we are crazy. But they have thought that for 8 years so why try to change it? We just got chicks last weekend and in the process of building the coop today. The family is very excited and we have quite a little variety going.

Sadly, we lost one yesterday and learned a hard lesson about checking on them frequently. We aren't fully sure why. It was acting fine when we went to bed. My wife on them after lunch and our week old cinnamon queen was laying on her side listless. When my wife called me at work I walked her through checking for and cleaning pasty butt but it was too late. She got it cleaned up and it died within the hour anyway. I grabbed some medicated chick starter and we changed out the brooder as a precaution to protect the others.

We are going to try and get a replacement today. TSC sells in minimum of six. Are there any other places to grab one or two birds at a time? our other chicks range from 1.5 to 3 weeks old so I would actually prefer one a few weeks old so that is acclimates better to the others.

Hi Daddy Bird,
I am not far from you! We live off Bowling and West End Ave. My neighbors have been very supportive so far. We will see once the weather gets warmer. I am worried about the smell and flies picking up. We started our chicks in October and just today the Barred Rock squatted when I went to pet her. I think we should have an egg from her before too long! Let me know if you ever need anything...we are just a few miles away.

Hi Daddy Bird,
I am not far from you! We live off Bowling and West End Ave. My neighbors have been very supportive so far. We will see once the weather gets warmer. I am worried about the smell and flies picking up. We started our chicks in October and just today the Barred Rock squatted when I went to pet her. I think we should have an egg from her before too long! Let me know if you ever need anything...we are just a few miles away.
Hello fellow urban chicken keepers!
D.gif
I am in between you both...between Belmont Blvd and 21st.
We got our girls last February. We've learned a lot and have had a blast! Our neighbors have been great. There really hasn't been anything to complain about. We didn't have a bad smell or a big fly issue. We did have flies, but not too many to be a problem. I had bought a fly trap container thing at TSC to hang inside the run, just in case, but never used it.
Getting your very first eggs is soooo exciting! I'm here too if you need anything :)

Hi Daddy Bird,

Thanks Hockey Chick! Our neighbors are an interesting lot. There is really no telling how they will react. The smell on chickens is no worse than any other animal so long as you keep their area clean. 6 hens will produce about as much waste as a med size dog and aren't nearly as loud. You might look to get some food grade diatomecious earth. It has a million uses- including parasite and insect control. Chickens also find flies tasty =)

We are a ways out from eggs. Our oldest are about 6 weeks right now. We will be into June before we even start looking. How many do you Have? Are they all Barred Rocks?

Back
Top Bottom