The Middle Tennessee Thread

Hello fellow urban chicken keepers!
D.gif
I am in between you both...between Belmont Blvd and 21st.
We got our girls last February. We've learned a lot and have had a blast! Our neighbors have been great. There really hasn't been anything to complain about. We didn't have a bad smell or a big fly issue. We did have flies, but not too many to be a problem. I had bought a fly trap container thing at TSC to hang inside the run, just in case, but never used it.
Getting your very first eggs is soooo exciting! I'm here too if you need anything :)

Thanks Leah21! We had a scare with our little Silkie last night that wouldn't stand up and my wife and I held an all night vigil. Had I known you were there I might have been knocking on your door for some Corid! ;) We made some medicated chick starter soup and force fed it with a dropper every hour until I could run out this morning and get some stronger stuff. I am happy to say, she was be-bopping around the brooder with all her much larger buddies like nothing ever happened when I got home today. I was glad too as we lost one on Friday and I don't think my wife could have taken losing another one. Maybe when we are all set up and can all get together and do a coop tour.

I managed to get a fairly good pic of a couple of my Orps today. This is Boris & Bebe part of a trio (sorry didn't get a pic of BB with them). Her color is not great for a blue but it may change some after her first molt and if not I still love her body type. I think they are around 7 1/2 months old (would have to check).

OK, sorry about that- apparently I was logged in as my wife, "HeltsleyHen" and didn't realize it until I had responded to you both. Sorry about that. I promise I am not schizophrenic! =)

I managed to get a fairly good pic of a couple of my Orps today. This is Boris & Bebe part of a trio (sorry didn't get a pic of BB with them). Her color is not great for a blue but it may change some after her first molt and if not I still love her body type. I think they are around 7 1/2 months old (would have to check).
Do they have legs ?:D All I see is body & feet. Pretty though, nice & fluffy

nice...love the short legs on your boy!!

Do they have legs ?
big_smile.png
All I see is body & feet. Pretty though, nice & fluffy

nice...love the short legs on your boy!!

Thanks and yes they are low to the ground compared to my English ones.
big_smile.png
Here's a pic of a couple of the English cockerels for comparison. They are at least a month younger.

ETA: these are approx a month or so younger than Boris and Bebe

Last edited:
OK, sorry about that- apparently I was logged in as my wife, "HeltsleyHen" and didn't realize it until I had responded to you both. Sorry about that. I promise I am not schizophrenic! =)
LOL...It did confuse me for a minute
big_smile.png
I'm glad your silkie perked back up! That's great news!!! I'd be up for a coop tour, too...just pm me sometime bc I don't check this thread all the time.

I'm too far away but a Coop Tour would be a great way to educate the public about how easy and clean chicken keeping can be. You can also show-off how most of us have solved the problems of keeping healthy, happy chickens that have very little if any impact on the surrounding property's and the importance of Not letting dogs or feral cats run loose. Seattle does a great Coop tour, I've seen the pictures.

I'm too far away but a Coop Tour would be a great way to educate the public about how easy and clean chicken keeping can be. You can also show-off how most of us have solved the problems of keeping healthy, happy chickens that have very little if any impact on the surrounding property's and the importance of Not letting dogs or feral cats run loose. Seattle does a great Coop tour, I've seen the pictures.
Nashville has one....I believe you sign up to go though the University School of Nashville website.

Back
Top Bottom