The Middle Tennessee Thread

I would love to see a picture of the Candler if you have one.

Sure thing.

Started with an Oatmeal canister spray painted black.

Add a ceramic light fixture mounted on a plywood disk, attached to an old Christmas village power cord. (fixture is $1.47 at Home Depot). Install a 120 watt CFL for high light, low heat.

Assemble the pieces. Note- I pulled the cord through a little hole in the bottom of the canister before attaching to the fixture base.

Then cut a hole in the lid, add an egg, turn out the lights, turn on your candler.

I am working on a little brooder project next using an old shipping crate from work.

Sure thing. Started with an Oatmeal canister spray painted black. Add a ceramic light fixture mounted on a plywood disk, attached to an old Christmas village power cord. (fixture is $1.47 at Home Depot). Install a 120 watt CFL for high light, low heat. Assemble the pieces. Note- I pulled the cord through a little hole in the bottom of the canister before attaching to the fixture base. Then cut a hole in the lid, add an egg, turn out the lights, turn on your candler. I am working on a little brooder project next using an old shipping crate from work.
Love it

Sure thing.

Started with an Oatmeal canister spray painted black.

Add a ceramic light fixture mounted on a plywood disk, attached to an old Christmas village power cord. (fixture is $1.47 at Home Depot). Install a 120 watt CFL for high light, low heat.

Assemble the pieces. Note- I pulled the cord through a little hole in the bottom of the canister before attaching to the fixture base.

Then cut a hole in the lid, add an egg, turn out the lights, turn on your candler.

I am working on a little brooder project next using an old shipping crate from work.

Be sure to post that on the inventions thread. Top notch!

My candler:
1) Smartphone
2) Toilet paper roll tube
3) Egg (prop is store bought)

Last edited:
Thought I'd share... This is Joker And some of his chicks...
Very distinguished roo! Tell me I see 3 color variations in the chicks: dark, medium and pale. How dose that interpret in adult coloring or sexing?
The ones with chipmunk stripes and eye liner are female, the two with head spots are male. My hatches are 100% autosexable but I am only perpetuating the darkest downed males to assure that I maintain guaranteed autosexing (many people in the US do not have 100% autosexing because the Rhodebar in the US are not pure and people do not understand their genetics and do not cull properly prior to selling eggs and chicks - different story but... a huge problem in RB). This hatch is 90 days old now so you can see how they are feathering out if you like. I will most a recent pic later today if anyone is curious. The males will actually feather very similar, which is why all males get a colored leg band at hatch so I can track them. I personally am only using darker downed males in my breeding program. While working on my genetics I am doing two pure Rhodebar hatches this year simply to assure genetic diversity and have backups. In this particular case i needed a few more RB females to put under an F1 male in August. This was a January hatch of pure RB. I have another hatch the end of this month. So... This darkest male and two of the females will be offered for sale as soon as i get around to advertising them. The lighter male will not be used. Yes he is pure Rhodebar and yes he is easily autosexed but... The are too many Rhodebar breeders who are not culling deep enough. I cull very deep. I have fewer than 8 adult Rhodebars right now. I put more than 40 in the freezer or in backyard mutt flocks last year where no one knows they are Rhodebar. I simply do not believe in selling my culls as breeders unless they understand the genetics and have a breeding program/plan. As an aside, I am now only 1 generation away from having purebred improved RB genetics. Although I will not begin offering those genetics until I breed them myself to assure 100% documented genetics. I am anal... Every project chick I have right now has been banded for separate id since hatch and documented weekly with photos. As you can imagine it's a large document I have about 50 chicks in that program right now not including the pure Rhodebars. Probably WAY more than you wanted to know. Sorry. I tend to be like my great grandfather who bred RC RIR on the 30s and 40s... ask me what time it is and i will tell you where the clock was made. Lol

Hatch finished! I have 17 new babies this morning. It was a long hatch throughout 4 days. Happy old woman here!

I candled my Easter Hatch a Longs this morning, still got 58 in the incubator but culled 17 not fertile. There are some still that needs to be culled but waiting a few days more.

Also, added 54 more into the bator this morning. Thinking this might be my last hatch of the season. I will try to decide that today.

Lol... hatching is addicting. :)
I have hatched every 5 days since January 1st... My bator is finally shut down until August. Whew

Back
Top Bottom