The Middle Tennessee Thread

Anyone have experience with an egg eating chicken? I've suspected that one or more were eating eggs because with 11 pullets/hens I'm lucky to get 2-3 eggs a day. Today I found 2 partial egg shells in the nest box & 1 hen with what appears to be yolk on her face. I plan to crate her for a day or two & see if my production picks up. If it does can she be reintroduced? Or will she still try to eat eggs? If so can she be broke ?

It is early for this here but what about snakes? Last year I went down to one or two eggs a day in a pen of 19. The only way I would get an egg was if I heard the egg song and snatched it then. One day I was cleaning the coop and under the litter (deep litter) I found the longest, fattest black snake that had 10 eggs inside it. And two smaller ones that had one or two. Now anytime production stops like that I turn on a game cam and it is a snake everytime.

I am located in the Sparta TN area and I am looking for a Welsummer cockrell or young roo. I have no problem driving an hour or 2 for the right bird.

It is early for this here but what about snakes? Last year I went down to one or two eggs a day in a pen of 19. The only way I would get an egg was if I heard the egg song and snatched it then. One day I was cleaning the coop and under the litter (deep litter) I found the longest, fattest black snake that had 10 eggs inside it. And two smaller ones that had one or two. Now anytime production stops like that I turn on a game cam and it is a snake everytime.

I'm not going to say a snake can't get in my coop. However in the 5 years I've lived here I have yet to see a snake. The main reason I suspect the chickens is I found partial egg shells in the nest box & found 1 hen with dried egg yolk on her cheeks.

If I keep finding guinea eggs at this rate I will have 60+ eggs to set next week..... Might set them in the middle of the week if I get enough. I got 7 today and almost have 30 now.

After this I might sell some eggs for a couple of weeks. Then collect for a couple we will just have to see.

Last edited:
OK SO WHO IS GOING TO DICKSON?  Someone mentioned a Picnic Lunch or potluck? 

Who I know are going

ChickenNoddle
Silver Rock
TinTennessee

Anyone else?  There needs to be a PLAN if yall want to meet up.

I plan on it. Is the best time to go about right at 9 am? I will look up the post that have directions.

Donna, you can bring some Guinea eggs with you for me then if you'd like to rid yourself of the burden ;)

So these were straight run, free chicks lol. I know there were SLW, GLW, EE, and RIR in the mix. Out of the ones I ended up with, I have some EE, but not really sure about the white/silver one. What are you guys opinions? I believe the one in the dish is a roo. They are all 8ish weeks old except for the white/silver one, that one is a week older.

So these were straight run, free chicks lol. I know there were SLW, GLW, EE, and RIR in the mix. Out of the ones I ended up with, I have some EE, but not really sure about the white/silver one. What are you guys opinions? I believe the one in the dish is a roo. They are all 8ish weeks old except for the white/silver one, that one is a week older.
The white and black is still a roo LOL. The one in the dish looks to be a roo too and the one on the right maybe?????? I really need better head shots to tell you for sure.

Back
Top Bottom