The Middle Tennessee Thread

Hey everyone!
We have a Buff Orpington rooster that is about 15weeks old that needs to find a new home. We live in Davidson county and due to city ordinances we can't keep him. We purchased him from The Poultry House thinking it was a female. We need him gone as soon as possible. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
No we were not talking to the DuckMan.  It was another guy.  I did talk to the duckman I was checking to see what color guinea he had but he only had pear.  It really worries me when they have dead birds in pens and do nothing to remove the dead birds. I bet he had 10 dead birds between all his pens....... The other guy didn't have one dead bird. 

I am glad you told me that I was gonna go up sat to get more guineas. I think I am just gonna go to the auction now...

Hello I am new here and want to raise chickens but I have lots of questions. I live in a rural area in Franklin. What breeds do well here? I have a basset hound and I worry that she will go after the chickens. How do you free range with dogs? Where is a good place to get chicks? I want chickens that are like pets and that are good egg layers. Also I wonder what you do if you go on vacation?

Welcome!!!! I think for a first chicken any of the Orrpingtons are great. Good layers and also can be good pets if handled a lot. Many folks on this list have them.

I went out to fill up my water for my broody and she has a CHICK! I was thinking it would be at least another 6 days before the first hatched. My time sense must be wayyyyy off. Should have wrote it on the calender. That means the other eggs should hatch in 4 to 5 days. She apparently ate the shell. It is a little charcoal colored chick, probably a blue. All dry and chipper. Boy was she thirsty though (Momma). She drank and drank. I swear though I thought she was sitting on 7 eggs and I still count 7 eggs. Could she be laying again already. Being in the dog kennel it could only be her eggs. Or I miscounted. Probably should mark the eggs.

Hello I am new here and want to raise chickens but I have lots of questions. I live in a rural area in Franklin. What breeds do well here? I have a basset hound and I worry that she will go after the chickens. How do you free range with dogs? Where is a good place to get chicks? I want chickens that are like pets and that are good egg layers. Also I wonder what you do if you go on vacation? 

jlynnp
"Welcome!!!! I think for a first chicken any of the Orrpingtons are great. Good layers and also can be good pets if handled a lot. Many folks on this list have them."

I agree. We got our first chicks last year, 10 assorted breeds: buff Orpington, RIR, barred rock, SLW, GLW, buff Brahma, Barnvelder, red sex link, black sex link, cinnamon queen. These were MY chicks. My hubs fell in love with the buff Orpington and named her "Buffy"--she would come running across the yard anytime she saw him. Needless to say, he stole her from me!!! :)

Orpingtons are great because the are sweet and calm. Barred rocks are fun because they are inquisitive and full of personality. Silkies are the sweetest chickens ever. Ameraucanas and Easter eggers are fun for the blue and green eggs. Welsummers and marans are fun for that dark brown egg color. I am leaving out a ton of breeds. There are lots of us local that have almost every breed out there available ad chicks and started birds. Just figure out which ones you like best and ask around. We have a breeders list on here that shows who is breeding what and where they are located. I can't post the link from my phone, but maybe Connie will. :)
I have dogs that stay in a fenced backyard. The chickens stay on the other side. As long as everyone stays on their side all is well. My dogs will play with a chicken if they can reach it. The chickens don't usually survive. Dogs will do what they do. Some are fine around birds, but others have a strong prey instinct. You'll just have to be really careful with your bassett until you know how he will behave.
I don't go out of town often, but when i do i use a housesitter with chicken experience. He comes morning and night to do chicken chores and xheck on the other animals. You might be able to find someone through 4H.
Welcome to the group!

Back
Top Bottom