The Middle Tennessee Thread

First of all, I come from Iowa, the unofficial Hog state and commercial operations are not necessarily cleaner, they stink more and are not all cruel and inhumane. Secondly, I have friends here who have a pig and they haven't said anything about special permitting or having issues with the state of Tennessee. I'm confused now. Are there special permits I need for pigs? I'm not talking 100, just 4 or 5.

They don't live in squalor, they only get muddy to cool off and I will rotationally graze them.

I have had large pigs and mini pigs both and none of my pigs have ever been allowed to live in squalor! I rotate them and clean their pens when needed. No permits needed that I know of. My pigs stay cleaner than my dogs by the way!

And for the people that don't want there roos or cockerels. I'm in east TN, but depending how far u r I would take them. Out of my 15 Buff Brahmas I have 10 cockerels. A few people already want a few but I'm only keeping 3. But I don't have a problem to put them in the freezer.  Farm raised chicken is WAY better than store chickens. If you knew how those Cornish X's r raised you would never eat one. LOL!
[/quote]

What part of E Tn are you in? I might be interested in getting (or giving) some birds from you at some point in time. I'm just west of Crossville, right on the middle/east divider line.:woot

Thanks. Thats why I have hound dogs. Not even rabbits come around. lol

This one was too brave. I have two Dobermanns, plus one other large dog, but this crazy cat ran up and grabbed a bird just 20 feet in front of my husband (he's 6'2", 250+). We have a baby. Not that I would ever leave her alone, but I was afraid to take her out in her stroller. The cat got six birds in about four weeks.

We're over-run with bobcats, so my husband built a new coop for me. We haven't built a run yet. It will need to be bear-proof as well. We haven't seen one on our property, but a lot of our neighbors saw some this summer (mostly males, thought to be traveling)

This one was too brave. I have two Dobermanns, plus one other large dog, but this crazy cat ran up and grabbed a bird just 20 feet in front of my husband (he's 6'2", 250+). We have a baby. Not that I would ever leave her alone, but I was afraid to take her out in her stroller. The cat got six birds in about four weeks.

We're over-run with bobcats, so my husband built a new coop for me. We haven't built a run yet. It will need to be bear-proof as well. We haven't seen one on our property, but a lot of our neighbors saw some this summer (mostly males, thought to be traveling)

We have everything here too. I'm in the mountains. This is right down the street. I was thinking of putting up an electric fence around the pen area just incase.

This one was dog-sized. We have a pic of him beside our lab-mix (about 90 lbs) and he wasn't much smaller than the dog. When we build our run, we're going to build it with large posts, cattle panels on the outside and hardware cloth on the inside. I am going to run hotwire across to top and bottom. Those kitties can just sit and watch the birdies!:cd

Has anyone dealt with bear?

Last edited:
This one was dog-sized. We have a pic of him beside our lab-mix (about 90 lbs) and he wasn't much smaller than the dog. When we build our run, we're going to build it with large posts, cattle panels on the outside and hardware cloth on the inside. I am going to run hotwire across to top and bottom. Those kitties can just sit and watch the birdies!
D.gif

Has anyone dealt with bear?

I read a post one time that you are better to NOT fence or bear proof your pens. The bears will just tear them up, they are CRAZY strong..... if you can let the birds have a way to escape it is best, if not they are just cage prey.

Reached my goal today!! 12 eggs in a day!! Woohoo! And the kicker, my 12th egg came from my fbcm pullet!! Of course I found it on the floor of my coop. But maybe my dumb chicken will learn to use the nesting boxes soon! Lol. Yes my eggs are dirty, don't judge
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom