The Middle Tennessee Thread

Need advice....

My 4 1/2 week old Ameraucana chicks have been in a brooder box inside the chicken coop (with a heat lamp over the brooder).

We lost power on Saturday. They've survived so far (with temps down below 20, of course it was a few degrees warmer inside the coop). I was thinking about going ahead and moving them to the small coop (currently not in use, see pic)

The left side is "open", right side is full plywood, the furthest side has a wide piece of wood with nest boxes on top of that, but the top half of that side is "open"...you should be able to see what I mean in the pic. Of course, you can see the back is solid, thin, plywood doors.

My question...Since they've been without heat for five days and are mostly feathered, is it ok to permanently remove heat (since they haven't had it anyway)? The power just came back on and I ran over and unplugged their heat....didn't want to reintroduce it only to have to wean them from it....since they've been without it for five days anyway.

Thanks in advance....Farrah

Farrah, is there a way to temporarily cover the open sides? I think we go back into the 40s and 5th this weekend, but it is still cold through Friday. I don't think I'd turn the lamp back on either way. As long as they are draft free they are probably fine.

Farrah, is there a way to temporarily cover the open sides? I think we go back into the 40s and 5th this weekend, but it is still cold through Friday. I don't think I'd turn the lamp back on either way. As long as they are draft free they are probably fine.

Thanks Anne! I think I'll just leave them where they are then. They've got plenty of room in their big bin and they are sheltered, I'll just leave the heat lamp off. I can wait a couple of weeks before I move them over to the other coop. When I do, we'll move it over so that the side is up against the garage...hopefully, the weather will be warmer AND they'll have more feathers! Thanks again!

We just got all four laying and one of my Dominique twins disappears! We have searched high and low! In addition to our Ameraucana hatching eggs in late spring it looks like we need some Dominiques bc we can't have just one! They are our very favorites! Anyone know any good breeders in the area? My awesome show breeder has liquidated her flock and is only focusing on her Ameraucanas this year! So sad! The worst part is she gave me my now missing girl for free and she had to be assisted from the egg. She still had some yolk on her back and had a crooked toe as a baby that we never fixed to tell her from the others. I had planned on never breeding her in case it was a defect rather than an incubation issue, but she got huge and had perfect conformation and such a friendly jump in your lap personality.

If there aren't any breeders, what hatchery have y'all used with good APA similar results? We have a friend who plans on getting a roo, so we are going to buy together! Thanks!

Day before yesterday, I got the most eggs yet for a one day total- 33. Yesterday I got 26. I fixed them scrambled eggs and shells as an appreciation treat.
Today, they have laid 1 egg. Now what's up with that?

Back
Top Bottom