The Middle Tennessee Thread

I knew one of these days I was going to fall in that muddy run. Today was the day. I'm sick of rain. On the days I could have spread pine shavings I worked 12 hr days. I was planning it this afternoon unless it's poring but down I went this morning. Nothing injured but my pride. Walked straight to the washing machine to take off my clothes.

I knew one of these days I was going to fall in that muddy run. Today was the day. I'm sick of rain. On the days I could have spread pine shavings I worked 12 hr days. I was planning it this afternoon unless it's poring but down I went this morning. Nothing injured but my pride. Walked straight to the washing machine to take off my clothes.
I know that is going to happen to me too. I have a fear of falling out there and being there all day in the rain before anybody comes home to find me. I have put 10 bales of straw out at $4.25 each and the straw has sunk down into the mud. I just ordered a dump truck load of construction grade sand. It may be June before he can get up this muddy, messy driveway though! I used it in the hen house and yard last summer and it seemed to help keep it cooler and keep the mud down some. Has anybody found a good solution for the mud?

Glad you weren't hurt.

Quote:
I am hoping sand will help. My runs outback just keep getting worse and worse..... they are even covered runs. I think my gutter is over flowing and needs to be adjusted and cleaned. I want to remove all the creek gravel (more rocks than anything) and replace it with several inches of sand. I think I could rake most of the poop out. IDK...... I would like a fix but I think sand would drain quicker. It works really well in the nest boxes and coop under the roost.

Cleaning those pens next week to see if I can get clean eggs again. YUCK!

I am hoping sand will help. My runs outback just keep getting worse and worse..... they are even covered runs. I think my gutter is over flowing and needs to be adjusted and cleaned. I want to remove all the creek gravel (more rocks than anything) and replace it with several inches of sand. I think I could rake most of the poop out. IDK...... I would like a fix but I think sand would drain quicker. It works really well in the nest boxes and coop under the roost.

Cleaning those pens next week to see if I can get clean eggs again. YUCK!
I used a rake last year and it worked well. A cat litter scoop works too if you are OCD, which I sometimes am if I have the time to be.

I often try to remember to take my phone with me when I go out to the coop. Just in case I fall or need to take a picture of something I like to have it. Today I was glad I did not have it because it probably would have been covered in mud. But if I couldn't have gotten up that would have been bad.

Yikes….be careful out there! Luckily my coop is on a hill and the grass and slope has kept the mud at bay…..not that I'm worried about it, with me being laid up with this knee replacement my hubby and daughter are taking care of the girls…..hehe.

So excited! First hatching ever and I've got 3 of my 4 eggs with some "wiggles" in them! The 4th was a dud but for my first hatching I'm happy with the ratio.

Also does anyone want to buy my evil rooster? He's a gorgeous Sumatra Roo with 2 crooked toes ( happened as a chick ) and I just don't have the heart to kill him but he's got to go! I'm tired of fending him off whenever I go outside.

So excited! First hatching ever and I've got 3 of my 4 eggs with some "wiggles" in them! The 4th was a dud but for my first hatching I'm happy with the ratio.

Also does anyone want to buy my evil rooster? He's a gorgeous Sumatra Roo with 2 crooked toes ( happened as a chick ) and I just don't have the heart to kill him but he's got to go! I'm tired of fending him off whenever I go outside.

Very exciting. Need pics when they're out.

Back
Top Bottom