The Middle Tennessee Thread

Hatched about 27 of my Buff Brahmas this month.Sell a few here and there but really for my flock. Still have around 25 in the bator for 2 more loads in the hatcher. Have my heritage reds and black coppers in the breeding pen now. Went from 10 chickens to 79 in about a month and still climbing!!
jumpy.gif

I have several plus a brooder. My houses range from 6x12 to 3x6. I have sections for everything lol. Chicks that come out of the brooder go in the chick section. One in front. No roosting poles because they usually never use them at that age. Once they get too big they go in the far right corner. That's the juvenile section. Then once they are ready to lay pullets go in the front section and cockerels in the back.The 2 on the left are breeding pens. Have 2 more to go. Mine also stay outside all day except to roost or lay. Except the younger birds. They do like to nap inside sometimes. As for food waste. Once they go outside I wet there feed. That way when they stand in it and scratch which they will, they cant throw it all over. Plus if I have hens or anybody billing food all over the ground I will take there bowl out until the feed on the ground is eaten. Then the bowl goes back in. Old timer told me if they r throwing feed all over you r filling it up before they need it. And for the laying pullets hens cockerels and roosters I use the hanging mini goat troughs. Those work great. Just dont over fill them.
Great set up!!

Who knew Marans were so broody! I have 2 black and 2 blue CM and a white Marans broody right now. I keep shooing others out of the nesting boxes. I got the australorps for broody hens and only 1 of them has cooperated.
@nesting hills sc- I'm jealous!!! What a beautifully well thought out chicken yard you have. It looks so peaceful.

Who knew Marans were so broody! I have 2 black and 2 blue CM and a white Marans broody right now. I keep shooing others out of the nesting boxes. I got the australorps for broody hens and only 1 of them has cooperated.
@nesting hills sc- I'm jealous!!! What a beautifully well thought out chicken yard you have. It looks so peaceful.
:}!! Very! Except when a new cockerel goes in the roo side. Then it's hell for a few hours until they determine who is in charge. Then it goes back to normal.

I have several plus a brooder. My houses range from 6x12 to 3x6. I have sections for everything lol. Chicks that come out of the brooder go in the chick section. One in front. No roosting poles because they usually never use them at that age. Once they get too big they go in the far right corner. That's the juvenile section. Then once they are ready to lay pullets go in the front section and cockerels in the back.The 2 on the left are breeding pens. Have 2 more to go. Mine also stay outside all day except to roost or lay. Except the younger birds. They do like to nap inside sometimes. As for food waste. Once they go outside I wet there feed. That way when they stand in it and scratch which they will, they cant throw it all over. Plus if I have hens or anybody billing food all over the ground I will take there bowl out until the feed on the ground is eaten. Then the bowl goes back in. Old timer told me if they r throwing feed all over you r filling it up before they need it. And for the laying pullets hens cockerels and roosters I use the hanging mini goat troughs. Those work great. Just dont over fill them.
Nice set-up! I like Donna's too (pics in her siggy links). I think my solution is to build another (small) chick coop! :yesss: I think that will wait until next year...my current little ones are now in the big girl coop (for the last couple nights). I went to shut them in last night and 10 of the 17 were "roosting" on the ledge of the poop table. They were so cute. I've got a few more eggs in lockdown...those will stay in the brooder in the feed room until they are ready to go in with the big girls. There's a lot fewer of them, so hopefully it won't be so messy. Fingers crossed for a good hatch...I had fits with my incubator last night. I made some mods several months ago and now it's coming back to bite me. I woke up and it was 93 degrees, but only over a couple hours. I hope I didn't kill them! :fl I can't wait to finish my DIY fridge bator....just a few finishing touches to go. I did go with the heat tape and one light bulb. The heat tape was holding temp when I set up the STC1000. I just have to install my fans, permanent mount the heat tape, and fine tune the thermostat.

Nice set-up! I like Donna's too (pics in her siggy links). I think my solution is to build another (small) chick coop!
yesss.gif

I think that will wait until next year...my current little ones are now in the big girl coop (for the last couple nights). I went to shut them in last night and 10 of the 17 were "roosting" on the ledge of the poop table. They were so cute. I've got a few more eggs in lockdown...those will stay in the brooder in the feed room until they are ready to go in with the big girls. There's a lot fewer of them, so hopefully it won't be so messy.

Fingers crossed for a good hatch...I had fits with my incubator last night. I made some mods several months ago and now it's coming back to bite me. I woke up and it was 93 degrees, but only over a couple hours. I hope I didn't kill them!
fl.gif

I can't wait to finish my DIY fridge bator....just a few finishing touches to go. I did go with the heat tape and one light bulb. The heat tape was holding temp when I set up the STC1000. I just have to install my fans, permanent mount the heat tape, and fine tune the thermostat.

Bought the bator last year. Got the hatcher this year. Hatch all or maybe not just one every time. Finally figured them out. lol

I was wondering if someone in Sparta or Cookeville had any bantams they wanted to sale. I am looking to raise some for the fair. If you are not in the sparta cookeville area, and if you could meet at maybe 111 flea market that would work to. Just let me know. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom