The Middle Tennessee Thread

No TSC for me today, my dad had to build a play set. But I'm hoping that I can go Friday or Saturday before Easter. Waiting to get chickens is so hard ,and every time I get close to getting them something happen! Luckily I have my bunny cat and dog to keep me distracted!

Haven't updated in awhile. Here are the silver cuckoo leghorns (autosexers), one pullet laid her first egg yesterday! And also included is a pic of a Silkie (same age) pullet who's coloring im obsessed with.

Last edited:
Haven't updated in awhile. Here are the silver cuckoo leghorns (autosexers), one pullet laid her first egg yesterday! And also included is a pic of a Silkie (same age) pullet who's coloring im obsessed with.

I just sold a Silkie that was exactly the same color (grey, I think?). She was so pretty, but I had no idea what to do with her :/ She's the only one I've ever gotten, and didn't have a place in any of my breeding pens :hit

FINALLY I have CHICKS! Much better hatch this time but still I can't get the humidity up enough. I don't have a count but there are over 150 chicks. I have FINALLY had a good hatch of my Exchequer Leghorns! SO CUTE! I got about 5 that were blue and 8 that were black. LOTS Of Copper Marans and a few silkies..... YEAH!

Once I get them all sorted I will be selling some (put some up already on the FB page). Most are for me as I have been slacking in the hatching department and some are just projects.

FINALLY I have CHICKS!  Much better hatch this time but still I can't get the humidity up enough.  I don't have a count but there are over 150 chicks.  I have FINALLY had a good hatch of my Exchequer Leghorns!  SO CUTE!  I got about 5 that were blue and 8 that were black.  LOTS Of Copper Marans and a few silkies..... YEAH! 

Once I get them all sorted I will be selling some (put some up already on the FB page).  Most are for me as I have been slacking in the hatching department and some are just projects.

Congratulations!!!! :celebrate

Glad it all worked out this time!!! :woot

FINALLY I have CHICKS! Much better hatch this time but still I can't get the humidity up enough. I don't have a count but there are over 150 chicks. I have FINALLY had a good hatch of my Exchequer Leghorns! SO CUTE! I got about 5 that were blue and 8 that were black. LOTS Of Copper Marans and a few silkies..... YEAH!

Once I get them all sorted I will be selling some (put some up already on the FB page). Most are for me as I have been slacking in the hatching department and some are just projects.
Donna, what did you do different to get a better hatch? I am having a hard time with my thick shelled breeds like Marans and Bielefelders. This time I put a towel on the bottom of the hatching tray and have been misting them several times a day, with a wet towel over the top of the tray. My Marans all hatched but no Bi's yet...they are usually a little later anyway. My humidity in the hatching tray is 65-75 and temp is 99. I am at my wit's end trying to figure out how to get a better hatch on the Bis!

If anyone in Middle Tennessee is looking for Bielefelders, French Black Cooper Marans, or Blue Jersey Giants I put an add in the classifieds. PM me if your interested
Are you doing something special to get your Bielefelders to hatch? Mine are so thick shelled! I have excellent fertility but a poor hatch rate right now!

Quote:
I am not sure on the Bielifelders but with marans you have to do DRY HATCH for 18 days. I don't add any water. If you don't do a dry hatch they don't evaporate as much as they should and will drown. I can't get my humidity up that high for hatch wish I could. I didn't really do much different this time LAST hatch was a disaster. I couldn't get the them up and the humidity and I lost most of that hatch. It was almost a lose this round when I cam in on day 19 my heater was out and the temp was down to 72. I had to do some rewiring and got it work but it as a LONG hatch. I think they are still hatching. I will check the today.

Back
Top Bottom