The Middle Tennessee Thread

Yeah the power lines aren't cool, we have some that go through our front yard at the new house. Where are the waterfalls located? We will be living close to 840

I took in a sad old lady hen from poultry hollow and she has a cyst near her eye. Do any of you have experience with this? I ordered some denegard from amazon to help treat it but should I lance it or leave it alone?
Chrystal have you ever gotten chicks from there before? I went up there about two weeks ago and got four 3-5 week old pullets. Seemed okay but one of them had a sticky eye for a few days and they're all sneezing more than I would like. Just wondering what kind of experience others have had with their fowl.

Yeah the power lines aren't cool, we have some that go through our front yard at the new house. Where are the waterfalls located? We will be living close to 840
Not really sure were, but I would suggest looking in to places like Ciders of Lebanon and Fall Creak Falls. Also there is a TSC in murfreesboro that might get some Brahmas in. It might be worth a try to look if you don't care about getting hatchery stock.

I should have a hatch end of the week and then an empty incubator. Anyone around Nashville area or Dickson have show quality sillies and willing to sell some hatching eggs? I'm open to most colors but looking for very good quality. Super fluffy, correct feet and combs, etc.
Please PM me if you are going to have any eggs in the next few weeks. Pictures of parents are appreciated.
Normally I would say yes to this. I have some nice blue, black and splash and non standard color Silkies and Sizzles. But, everyone is broody right now (or just coming out of brooding). I went from almost a dozen eggs a day from them, right now I'm only getting two eggs a day
hmm.png

Cookeville has waterfalls just about any direction you go from town. Burgess Falls State Park is the most well known. I understand Cummings Falls is now a park too. It was a great place to have a mis-spent youth!

Normally I would say yes to this. I have some nice blue, black and splash and non standard color Silkies and Sizzles. But, everyone is broody right now (or just coming out of brooding). I went from almost a dozen eggs a day from them, right now I'm only getting two eggs a day
hmm.png
That's my problem too. I've got two silkie girls broody, two raising chicks, and two recovering from broody that aren't laying yet, and several too young to lay so I'm getting one silkie egg a day.right now. Keep me in mind for the future. I have never thought I liked sizzles but yours are so cute you make me rethink it. Non standard colors are fine. Waht do you typically have? I'm a fanatic about fluffy typey birds and correct combs/toes but I am open to many colors. If you have eggs of any color (showgirls okay too) later in the spring/ summer, let me know. Thanks.

That's my problem too. I've got two silkie girls broody, two raising chicks, and two recovering from broody that aren't laying yet, and several too young to lay so I'm getting one silkie egg a day.right now. Keep me in mind for the future. I have never thought I liked sizzles but yours are so cute you make me rethink it. Non standard colors are fine. Waht do you typically have? I'm a fanatic about fluffy typey birds and correct combs/toes but I am open to many colors. If you have eggs of any color (showgirls okay too) later in the spring/ summer, let me know. Thanks.
I'll definitely keep in touch. My Silkies are very typey and fluffy. The Sizzles typically are as well, but I do still get the odd chick that's lacking crest (though they still look better than hatchery Silkies and those hens with smaller crests still make gorgeous chicks), but most of them have big bonnets. They're (the Sizzles) pretty solid on toes, combs, skin and blue earlobes. Very occasionally I do get a chick that has the wrong skin color, but I haven't had that happen since last year. You should get blue, black, splash, possibly partridge and blue partridge and I get some chicks that almost look wheaten/blue wheaten. White may be a possibility as well. I do have one white Sizzle hen in my pen, but haven't gotten any white chicks this year....

Last edited:
Some of the birds in the breeding pen. I'll most likely be changing out my rooster soon. I did have everyone split up into two pens (a splash Silkie roo in one with blue, black and non standard colored frizzle and smooth Silkies and Sizzles, and a blue frizzled Sizzle roo in the other with splash Silkies and blue and black smooth Sizzles). Right now everyone is running together and I intend on switching out to a really gorgeous blue cockerel I kept back this year. So, if you get some eggs, what comes out of them may be a complete surprise!

Back
Top Bottom