The Middle Tennessee Thread

Chrystal have you ever gotten chicks from there before? I went up there about two weeks ago and got four 3-5 week old pullets. Seemed okay but one of them had a sticky eye for a few days and they're all sneezing more than I would like. Just wondering what kind of experience others have had with their fowl.

Yes and about half of them died within the first week. I put everything I get from her in quarantine for at least a week before I put them with my other birds. I always have great luck with the birds I get from the people on this thread.

Yes and about half of them died within the first week. I put everything I get from her in quarantine for at least a week before I put them with my other birds. I always have great luck with the birds I get from the people on this thread.

I think I would increase that quarantine time to a month. Once you get something like MG you never really get rid of it.

I took the little polish I got from them out of quarantine and so far everyone is ok. I hope it stays that way.
I'm having a new coop built for the babies now. It should be ready in a week or so. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Sigh. This is my first flock of backyard birds, and if they have some highly contagious avian disease I really hope we find out before I move them into the freakin' chicken palace we are building. Not to mention my kids will be devastated if I have to put them down. Hopefully that won't happen. Thanks.

How sick are they? There are treatments you can use to treat them if you catch it before they get very sick. Many threads on here about treating respiratory diseae in poultry.

Well I used some Polysporin on my chick with the gooey eyes and they cleared up within a day. However I've noticed all four of them sneezing. I have them in the spare bathroom and there is no window in there, hence not the best ventilation but I turn the vent on and let it run for a while several times a day. Other than the sneezing I don't see any symptoms. They are all eating, drinking, and growing rapidly. I'm mainly concerned about introducing a disease onto our property, like MG. I'm also a hypochondriac and reading all these threads about respiratory illness and culling your entire flock (not that you can call four birds a 'flock') is making me panicky. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to have some expensive lab work done. Ugh.

Well I used some Polysporin on my chick with the gooey eyes and they cleared up within a day. However I've noticed all four of them sneezing. I have them in the spare bathroom and there is no window in there, hence not the best ventilation but I turn the vent on and let it run for a while several times a day. Other than the sneezing I don't see any symptoms. They are all eating, drinking, and growing rapidly. I'm mainly concerned about introducing a disease onto our property, like MG. I'm also a hypochondriac and reading all these threads about respiratory illness and culling your entire flock (not that you can call four birds a 'flock') is making me panicky. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to have some expensive lab work done. Ugh.

As Chrystal said, don't freak out yet! She gave you some good things to do. See how they do. TSC has stuff like sulfa drugs and penicillin if needed.

Does anyone know where I can find some Showgirls semi close? At this point, I'm not picky about color, I just want some! I really don't want to have to start them from scratch :/

Back
Top Bottom