The Middle Tennessee Thread

If you use pine shavings, where do you get them and how much do you pay per bale? Please include bale size if you know.

I was having DH get this at TSC because he drives by one on his way home. But, they have raised their prices several times. It finally went back down to $5.29 for 2.25 cu. ft. compressed (it was $5.79) and one bale isn't quite enough so I end up with a partial to store.

I happened to be in Lebanon so I asked at the co-op and $5.29 there also BUT the bale is 3 cu. ft. One bale of theirs is exactly the right amount for my coop plus nest boxes.

I'm relatively new to shavings so if you have found a better deal, please share.
@lilmarie84 will be moving to the Hendersonville area and wants to know if there are areas that are/are not chicken friendly.
http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...kyard-chickens-allowed-depends-live/13918097/

This article is a couple years old but it has some helpful information.

Last edited:
I do use pine shavings snd the cheapest place I've found is TSC in lebanon. Have you checked you're local co-op though. Sometimes they have better prices. Ive looked at straw too but never used it.

I dont think i helped you much. Sorry.

I do use pine shavings snd the cheapest place I've found is TSC in lebanon. Have you checked you're local co-op though. Sometimes they have better prices. Ive looked at straw too but never used it.

I dont think i helped you much. Sorry.
I think you might want to re-read my post. The price was the same at the co-op but the package is 30% larger so the co-op is a much better deal than TSC.

Hello Middle Tennesseeans! I'm new to BYC and new to chicken ownership! I'm working on coop designs currently and hoping to get 3-4 pullets come spring. I live in Nashville. Any tips for chicken keeping in this area? Do you do anything special to help them out during our crazy hot summers?

Hello Middle Tennesseeans! I'm new to BYC and new to chicken ownership! I'm working on coop designs currently and hoping to get 3-4 pullets come spring. I live in Nashville. Any tips for chicken keeping in this area? Do you do anything special to help them out during our crazy hot summers?
I use fans in the heat of summer and let them free range as much as possible. I lost some to heat stress last summer in spite of ice in the water, cold treats and fans.
Welcome to Tennessee and BYC :welcome

Back
Top Bottom