The Moonshiner's Bootleg Incubator Reviews And Discussions

Pics
In other news I ordered one of the inkbird thermostats. Not sure when it will arrive or when I'll set eggs in the UFO. I'm thinking about starting new batches every 10 days now instead of every 7. Idk
So, I guess silly question...I am sure it's in this forum somewhere...BUT... what do you do with all your chicks...
Sell them?
Raise them?
Eat them?

I am dying to order some French copper maran eggs bc i am in love with the dark brownish red color they lay...but i have to wait to see how many from my last hatch will be boys...

You're obviously hatching on a huge level so I was just curious...

@The Moonshiner @Hedgeland Farms

I am very happy with my turnout with the Maticoopx 30:

So far out of 30 shipped eggs 15 Hatched.

Of the 30:
2 broken by USPS
5 developed but then became spoiled (I suspect the eggs broken by USPS may have contaminated them)
1 was a quitter
6 did not develop
16 made it to lockdown (1 did not hatch)

For shipped eggs I think this is not bad, especially since this is only my second hatch.
I think that's a fantastic turn out!!!
I can't wait to use mine again!

I think for shipped eggs it's really good.
Can't count the broken ones at all.
6 that didn't develop at all are clears.
I'd agree with why the 5 went bad. I wouldn't blame the incubator for those.
So realistically I'd put the count at 15 of 17 hatched.

Now don't you have a second one running with your own eggs?
Here’s an update on the other batch of eggs (from my flock)
Last night the ones I placed under my broody hens to hatch started peeping and one definitely pipped.
This morning I have 4 pipping in the incubator.

Attachments

• B66D481E-1548-47C2-B10D-566805E2BAF0.jpeg
    B66D481E-1548-47C2-B10D-566805E2BAF0.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 5
So, I guess silly question...I am sure it's in this forum somewhere...BUT... what do you do with all your chicks...
Sell them?
Raise them?
Eat them?

I am dying to order some French copper maran eggs bc i am in love with the dark brownish red color they lay...but i have to wait to see how many from my last hatch will be boys...

You're obviously hatching on a huge level so I was just curious...
7wc5ej.gif

I raise Leghorns and mix and match them to make colors/patterns that aren't common for the breed.
I'm kind of a big deal. But no, to work on many different patterns at the same time and get anywhere I have to hatch lots of chicks. The majority don't further projects so usually throughout the year I take extras to auction. I keep as many as I can then in the fall I cull the undesirables that didn't turn out like I'd hoped and adults that won't be used the next year. Those go to auction.
So ya I hatch a lot. Many are sold as juveniles and many are kept as replacements or new stock for the next season.

I have a chick chat thread somewheres and my main thread that's about my Leghorns and projects.

Here’s an update on the other batch of eggs (from my flock)
Last night the ones I placed under my broody hens to hatch started peeping and one definitely pipped.
This morning I have 4 pipping in the incubator.
Update?

Update:

Eggs from my own flock, Incubator 2 and Broody hens:

All of the 6 eggs that I gave to the hens hatched, and hatched 1 day earlier that tne ones that I kept in the incubator. Of these 6 I helped 2 that seemed to be a bit “squished” meaning they were completely zipped but the chick was still partially inside the white membrane. I waited a good 12+hours for both and then freed both of them successfully. Both nice and healthy and no blood. Unfortunately in the next day I found one dead under one of the hens, not sure it was one of the ones that I assisted. I am unsure of cause of death, chick looked perfect. Luckily the remaining 5 are thriving, the hens are great at co-parenting them.

The other 8 eggs that remained in the incubator they all hatched healthy chicks right on day 21 within 12 hours.
They are now in a brooder with the other 15 chicks that hatched feom shipped eggs and are thriving.

Attachments

• 11158B6D-3A9C-437C-A119-68A888CF4716.jpeg
    11158B6D-3A9C-437C-A119-68A888CF4716.jpeg
    440 KB · Views: 5
  • BD297BFD-AB4F-4F67-B894-EC2DB0414FA3.jpeg
    BD297BFD-AB4F-4F67-B894-EC2DB0414FA3.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom