The Moonshiner's Bootleg Incubator Reviews And Discussions

Pics
I'd like to hear more about your homemade incubator. Any pics or pics of what you used?
Have you used it? How did it work?
By the way, below are pictures of my small incubator set up. I drilled couple of extra holes on the microwave steamer lid for temperature control sensor and ventilation. The incubator is normally covered by a piece of fleece for more even heat radiation from the lamp but I took it off for the picture.

As I mentioned earlier, I set 4 Trader Joe fertile white eggs. One quit after a week, 3 made into lockdown. One was dead on day 20.5 (yeah, I candled, the movement stopped). I did an eggtopsy today, the chick was malpositioned (head between legs) and there was too much fluid inside the membrane. It never made a successful internal pip though from the beak's position, it looked like it tried. I think it drowned in its own fluid and suffocated to death :rolleyes:.

One chick hatched 11pm last night on day 22. This mid-morning, the remaining one externally pipped. I left the one hatched inside the incubator as it seemed quite comfortable there. It would peck the pip hole on the remaining egg and "talk" to it. The chick yet to hatch would "talk" back. But since the humidity is hovering around 75%, the one hatched last night never got fluffy dry. Is that a concern?:confused: I'm debating on whether to take it out. But it seems like to stay near the externally pipped egg. What would you do? I have a picture of him/her too.

PS: my question answered. The second one hatched late afternoon. So both in brooder now.

Attachments

• IMG_4247.jpg
    IMG_4247.jpg
    884.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    63.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4246.jpg
    IMG_4246.jpg
    723.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi I'm brand new to this thread and found the discussions very interesting.
I don't know if the thread starter @The Moonshiner knows the site Temu. It's like Alibaba, selling cheaper products from China; but shipping is much quicker. Usually 5-10 days. Free shipping above $15. I did a quick search of incubators, quite some came up. Most are for small capacity hatches, 6-24 chicken eggs. The price is certainly good. I figured it's some good information for this thread. Link below:

https://rb.gy/83a8pe

I haven't tried any of the products so don't know if any of them are any good. They look decent from the pictures. I made my own experimental version using a microwave steamer (temu) + 75W light bulb + a small heating blanket + plug in thermostat controller (amazon) + additional temp/humidity guage (Temu).
I went ahead and ordered this one....
Capture.PNG

My $20 off worked so total with tax was like $15.66. That got me free shipping too.
Estimated arrival date 3/6 - 3/9

By the way, below are pictures of my small incubator set up. I drilled couple of extra holes on the microwave steamer lid for temperature control sensor and ventilation. The incubator is normally covered by a piece of fleece for more even heat radiation from the lamp but I took it off for the picture.

As I mentioned earlier, I set 4 Trader Joe fertile white eggs. One quit after a week, 3 made into lockdown. One was dead on day 20.5 (yeah, I candled, the movement stopped). I did an eggtopsy today, the chick was malpositioned (head between legs) and there was too much fluid inside the membrane. It never made a successful internal pip though from the beak's position, it looked like it tried. I think it drowned in its own fluid and suffocated to death :rolleyes:.

One chick hatched 11pm last night on day 22. This mid-morning, the remaining one externally pipped. I left the one hatched inside the incubator as it seemed quite comfortable there. It would peck the pip hole on the remaining egg and "talk" to it. The chick yet to hatch would "talk" back. But since the humidity is hovering around 75%, the one hatched last night never got fluffy dry. Is that a concern?:confused: I'm debating on whether to take it out. But it seems like to stay near the externally pipped egg. What would you do? I have a picture of him/her too.

PS: my question answered. The second one hatched late afternoon. So both in brooder now.
Congrats.
So the heat source was it sitting on a heating pad (on all the time?) And the lamp hooked to a thermostat with the probe poked inside?
Only thing that would scare me is putting the fleece over it all. Bulbs don't worry me but bulbs near anything that could be flammable does.
It's a neat idea.
Incubating fascinates me. I see so many that think everything needs to be perfect or risk of failure is too great. That gives way to the fancier expensive incubators.
But then I've saw chickens and ducks that seemed to have bad luck and still had successful hatches. People making the craziest homemade contraptions and getting hatches.
My whole reason for trying the different incubators is... ok, let's be honest. I do it for the chicks but I'm also interested to see which work the best, which work and which ones not so well. Then to see if each group have what in common.
I'm pretty convinced the thermostat or temp control is the most important thing. Now I'm rambling..... I need to get to hatching soon.

Congrats.
So the heat source was it sitting on a heating pad (on all the time?) And the lamp hooked to a thermostat with the probe poked inside?
Only thing that would scare me is putting the fleece over it all. Bulbs don't worry me but bulbs near anything that could be flammable does.
It's a neat idea.
Incubating fascinates me. I see so many that think everything needs to be perfect or risk of failure is too great. That gives way to the fancier expensive incubators.
But then I've saw chickens and ducks that seemed to have bad luck and still had successful hatches. People making the craziest homemade contraptions and getting hatches.
My whole reason for trying the different incubators is... ok, let's be honest. I do it for the chicks but I'm also interested to see which work the best, which work and which ones not so well. Then to see if each group have what in common.
I'm pretty convinced the thermostat or temp control is the most important thing. Now I'm rambling..... I need to get to hatching soon.
"So the heat source was it sitting on a heating pad (on all the time?) And the lamp hooked to a thermostat with the probe poked inside?
Only thing that would scare me is putting the fleece over it all. Bulbs don't worry me but bulbs near anything that could be flammable does."

Yes and yes.
And thanks for reminding me about the fire hazard. I just figured temperature at the top of the lid doesn't raise above 110F with the themostat controller so I covered it with fleece. But maybe I will find more fire retardant material next time.

I totally agree with you. This is my second try. Last year to be on the safer side I set the temperture 98-100F, also with TJ eggs. Out of 8 eggs, Two hatched, but very late (day 25-26) and very weak. One couldn't walk and died three days later, the other one didn't even survive overnight. So I researched more and tried again. Looks like 100-102F for my still air setup works much better. Last few days was set at 99-101F. My cheap themostate only let my operate in 2F range. I guess if I go for a more expensive one with narrower settings it could be better. But I also figured the developing embryo could survive a couple of degrees F temperature fluctuations. If the TJ 10 days old eggs can endure that, the fresher, more robust eggs would definitely fair better.

Back
Top Bottom