The Moonshiner's Bootleg Incubator Reviews And Discussions

Pics
Total hatch out of the MeeF: 18/24. Two clears, one blood ring, one early quitter, and two DIS (one of which had a malformed skull with the brains hanging out :sick ). I think that was a successful run overall, better than my LG would have done!

It's now reloaded with duck and goose eggs.
Congratulations on your hatch!! Any tips on hatching duck eggs? I'm trying to hatch some for a friend and the last set of 3 that made it to lockdown made it to full term but didn't hatch. They are just crossed black and white looking ducks. Not call ducks, or Indian Runners. I am now attempting to dry incubate in my Sportsman to hopefully improve my hatch rates.

I ordered the electronic thermostat.

:th
I wasn't getting alerts again.
Guess you made your decision. I do think that part is the issue and the fan not working is probably because that controls it or it's at least running through it.
It would of been a tough call for me. I'm cheap.so pouring more money into it would of been hard but a almost working incubator setting around would make me crazy.

Total hatch out of the MeeF: 18/24. Two clears, one blood ring, one early quitter, and two DIS (one of which had a malformed skull with the brains hanging out :sick ). I think that was a successful run overall, better than my LG would have done!

It's now reloaded with duck and goose eggs.
Congrats and I'd be happy with that hatch rate.
I need to start deciding which ones I'm gonna.start with.

Congratulations on your hatch!! Any tips on hatching duck eggs? I'm trying to hatch some for a friend and the last set of 3 that made it to lockdown made it to full term but didn't hatch. They are just crossed black and white looking ducks. Not call ducks, or Indian Runners. I am now attempting to dry incubate in my Sportsman to hopefully improve my hatch rates.
Only thing I can think specifically about duck eggs is to make sure to mist them regularly, and let them cool for 10-15 minutes a day. Since when the duck gets up for food and such, she'll go in the water and come back wet, then sits back on the eggs that way.

My first attempt at ducks was a total disaster. Half my fault, half the incubator's. Only two hatched (out of 24!), one of those died a day later, and the second one had neurological issues so I had to put her down. :(

Also, ducks take a HELLUVA lot longer than chickens. So if you get a pip, and it's been a while, don't rush in to help. They can take over 24 hours from pip to zip.

Only thing I can think specifically about duck eggs is to make sure to mist them regularly, and let them cool for 10-15 minutes a day. Since when the duck gets up for food and such, she'll go in the water and come back wet, then sits back on the eggs that way.

My first attempt at ducks was a total disaster. Half my fault, half the incubator's. Only two hatched (out of 24!), one of those died a day later, and the second one had neurological issues so I had to put her down. :(

Also, ducks take a HELLUVA lot longer than chickens. So if you get a pip, and it's been a while, don't rush in to help. They can take over 24 hours from pip to zip.
 Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it! Hopefully some of the eggs hatch!

I wasn't getting alerts again.
Guess you made your decision. I do think that part is the issue and the fan not working is probably because that controls it or it's at least running through it.
It would of been a tough call for me. I'm cheap.so pouring more money into it would of been hard but a almost working incubator setting around would make me crazy.
Yeah that was my thinking, the incubator is one part from being a brand new working incubator I can use as a backup. I ended up getting the part for $75 because I had some cash back rewards on my credit card. I thought about and really didnt want to spend anymore money on it but in the end it was driving me nuts wanting to fix it. GQF didn't have the part available so I ordered it from incubator warehouse. If the part works, I will order another one for my old incubator that doesn't work also. I think having too many incubators is better than not having enough incubators. 😁

Oh and a girl at work is going go give me an old still air incubator she has. It's got a wafer thermostat. How hard is it to install a fan in a still air?
I've never installed a fan from gqf or one specifically sold to install in one.
My still air ones already had the mounting holes so that's a plus. It was just a matter of getting the right size nuts, bolts and washers and I'm a guy so that was easy enough. BTW mount the fan to blow upwards if you weren't already aware.
The first couple I did I used those little cooling fans that used to come in old school computer hard drives. (Or whatever those things are called. Both were surprisingly the perfect size and their mounting holes lined up with the incubators.
I'm not an electronics guy by no means but I looked on the fans and I would say what they were like 9 volt or some nonsense. I scavaged some old cords off of something. The ones that the part that plugs into the outlet is a box deal. I just read the numbers on those until I found a couple that also said 9 volts or whatever it was that matched. I just wired him up that way but yeah that meant my incubator had an extra cord that just ran the fan.
When I built my big Pepsi cooler incubator I bought a fan for it and then a few extras just for future projects. They came with cords the plugged into the fans so I just had to run the cord to a hole in the incubator and then attach it to the fan.
Since then I've seen some that had a little speed control built into the cord. Doubt that's needed but hey it's cool. A lot of the newer ones are also USB. So you just plug them into like your phone adapter and then plug it in.
Honestly if you have the right fan that's the same volts and everything that the proper gqf fan has it shouldn't be hard to wire it in. I just never messed with it because I wasn't spending like 40 bucks on that fan when I could get a little fan cheaper all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom