The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Nope.
Maybe some day. Just don't know if I should go that route or mess with NPIP.
I can understand that. Just looking to my future white egg project. I have been doing a little searching online for my chosen breeds (leghorns are one of them) in as many colors as possible. I would prefer to start with hatching eggs so I can see the egg color they came from, but will get chicks if necessary.

Lots going on but nothing too exciting. I think hatching is gonna continue but in low gear.
I've only been hatching 10 to 15 at a time the last few weeks. I've been breaking up breeding pens to make room for growing birds.
If my count is correct I've hatched 608 chicks this year. I've lost some but I'm thinking about cutting more. I hate to do it but think it's time to send some to auction.
20200925_175207(1).jpg

That's 20 bags of feed. 1,000 lbs and it will last 8 days. I need to cut that by at least 33% by the time snow flys.
Other news I found my lost toe punch the other day when it fell out of the bottom of the couch. Yeah.
Incubator is pretty much done but I keep tweaking stuff so one day its good to go and then the next I've got parts torn apart. I did buy another egg turner couple days ago so I have six now but one is a bit rugged so gonna get one more and save the old one for a back up. Been checking on thermometers so be ordering something in next few days.
I'm gonna do some small test hatches over the fall.
That's probably not all but enough for now.

Last edited:
Lots going on but nothing too exciting. I think hatching is gonna continue but in low gear.
I've only been hatching 10 to 15 at a time the last few weeks. I've been breaking up breeding pens to make room for growing birds.
If my count is correct I've hatched 608 chicks this year. I've lost some but I'm thinking about cutting more. I hate to do it but think it's time to send some to auction.
View attachment 2349802
That's 20 bags of feed. 1,000 lbs and it will last 8 days. I need to cut that by at least 33% by the time snow flys.
Other news I found my lost toe punch the other day when it fell out of the bottom of the couch. Yeah.
Incubator is pretty much done but I keep tweaking stuff so one day its good to go and then the next I've got parts torn apart. I did buy another egg turner couple days ago so I have six now but one is a bit rugged so gonna get one more and save the old one for a back up. Been checking on thermometers so be ordering something in next few days.
I'm gonna do some small test hatches over the fall.
That's probably not all but enough for now.
20 bags of feed for 8 days...
Wow,just

Wow
giphy (3).gif

If you know me at all you'd know I'm a huge leghorn fan.
I've collected most varieties available and I'm doing quite a few color/pattern projects with them.
This thread is just going to be my ramblings about the breed, breeding them and some of these projects.
A place I can post random pics so I can have them in one place and others can see some varieties you may rarely see or may just not see anywhere else.
But enough for now let me get to some pics....
I love leghorns also!!!

Isn't it already hazardous to drive?... being a Ford and all.

Are you asking because of feed?
Lol I'm not a Ford fan but theyre affordable.
It also starts every day and I don't have to air up a tire to go anywhere. What was it that you have?

Yes, just how much feed could I get away with hauling without excessive wear and tear on the shocks or transmission, etc.
Also id prefer it be able to stop when need be and not handle like a hay wagon.

Lol I'm not a Ford fan but theyre affordable.
It also starts every day and I don't have to air up a tire to go anywhere. What was it that you have?

Yes, just how much feed could I get away with hauling without excessive wear and tear on the shocks or transmission, etc.
Also id prefer it be able to stop when need be and not handle like a hay wagon.
Did it come with the manual? Should say in there.

Old faithful.
20200926_155549.jpg

Any one know just how much weight I can haul in a no frills 1/2 ton F150.
Not what it can but how much it can continuously do without wearing anything out or making it hazardous to drive?
They would have a safety factor built in so if they say it can tow 1 ton you should easily be able to do 2 1/2 .... maybe ;) Maybe...

Back
Top Bottom