The Moonshiner's Leghorns

The Moonshiner

Professional Chicken Tender
Nov 17, 2016
Missouri
If they're both pure for their colors.
Cuckoo pullets and single factor cuckoo cockerel.
Single factor means one cuckoo gene instead of two. It makes the males a darker pattern like a pullet instead of the typical lighter pattern a male cuckoo has.

Chookwagn

Songster
Mar 28, 2020
New Zealand
If they're both pure for their colors.
Cuckoo pullets and single factor cuckoo cockerel.
Single factor means one cuckoo gene instead of two. It makes the males a darker pattern like a pullet instead of the typical lighter pattern a male cuckoo has.
Im not too sure the guy I am talking to says he will get Blacks, Blues and Cuckoo from it....

cluckingheck

Songster
Jun 15, 2020
West Virginia
just curious: what was the earliest age you’ve ever had a leghorn pullet lay at? i’ve watched one of my 14 week ( & 5 days ) old pullet dig around in a nesting box for the past few days and i was just wondering. her comb has also gotten pretty red but it’s still on the smaller side

SBFChickenGirl

Crowing
Nov 12, 2018
Been stalking this thread for a while... usually I don't like leghorns. They were too skittish for me and all of mine seemed to just kick the bucket....
But I'll say... I have been oohing and ahhing as much as the rest of them. (And feeling the itch for some pretty birds...) Too bad winter is coming or I might be tempted to try and get my hands on some of those Red Mille Fleurs... or maybe the Exchuers. (Ugh I can't spell.) Anyway. Back to lurking.

Leghorns N Minis

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2020
Riviera, TX
okay, i was wondering. this is my first time with leghorns and my older chickens ( varying breeds ) — now 26 weeks — started laying around 18-22 weeks. i saw where apparently leghorns could lay as early as 16? i’d imagine that’s a rare occurrence
My short lived experience has shown me if birds are hatched late in the year, they may take longer to start laying while those hatched early also tend to lay earlier. Day length does make a difference.

Top Bottom