The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Can I ask a quick genetics question? It's nothing to do with Leghorns, sorry, but I just wanted to ask real quick.
I'd like to breed two of my birds: Zapraska, the rooster, and Poppy, the hen:
View attachment 2439899View attachment 2439900
Poppy is a Sapphire Gem (I think so, at least), and Zapraska is a Brown OEGB.
Does anyone have any idea what their offspring would look like, out of curiosity?What color the chicks would be? I guess that I'll know if they both survive 'til spring and I have time to breed them, but just out of curiosity....
Sorry to cut in like that.
Short answer would be about 50% black with leakage and about 50% blue with leakage.
Pullets will end up with no leakage to leakage in the hackles. (Like a copper Marans hen but not as dark of red.)
Males usually always have leakage at least in the shoulder area but can end up with as much colored areas as your rooster. Id expect less then your rooster but in all the same places.
Your sapphire may be silver based (but doubt it) and his leakage would be yellowish instead of reddish.
It will be a bit of a cr@pshoot.

Can I ask a quick genetics question? It's nothing to do with Leghorns, sorry, but I just wanted to ask real quick.
I'd like to breed two of my birds: Zapraska, the rooster, and Poppy, the hen:
View attachment 2439899View attachment 2439900
Poppy is a Sapphire Gem (I think so, at least), and Zapraska is a Brown OEGB.
Does anyone have any idea what their offspring would look like, out of curiosity?What color the chicks would be? I guess that I'll know if they both survive 'til spring and I have time to breed them, but just out of curiosity....
Sorry to cut in like that.
I believe that sapphire gems carry dominant blue. Also, Zapraska's color is known as black breasted red. You should get some solid black, and some solid blue offspring. The boys will have red or gold leakage I think, and girls solid blue or solid black. I hope this helps!
Short answer would be about 50% black with leakage and about 50% blue with leakage.
Pullets will end up with no leakage to leakage in the hackles. (Like a copper Marans hen but not as dark of red.)
Males usually always have leakage at least in the shoulder area but can end up with as much colored areas as your rooster. Id expect less then your rooster but in all the same places.
Your sapphire may be silver based (but doubt it) and his leakage would be yellowish instead of reddish.
It will be a bit of a cr@pshoot.
X3

That sounds familiar. I remember us talking about the length of time it took to produce the chick and a horse breeder commenting how impatient chicken people could be since it takes much more than six months for a horse to be reproductively mature. I went back through pages 40-100 or so on this thread and didn't see that exact conversation but I did see a Lavender Silver-duckwing chick that teased my memory.

Alright. lol I'll see what I can do. I do post a lot in the Imported Orpington thread, but it would be nice to have an online chronicle of the breeding efforts and it's so handy for looking up dates when you forget to write something down. It may be the weekend before I get any good pictures of them. We all like pictures, so it'll be nice to have some good ones to ID everyone by also. Which I suppose means I need to move some birds too. lol
Ya I have a couple lavender silver duckwings.
I'll get pics. I'm loving the cockerels.
My idea was to take an Isabella and turn all the straw/gold tones to white so basically just a lavender and white bird. I thought it would be a crisp cleaner look.
Imo it absolutely is.

Ya I have a couple lavender silver duckwings.
I'll get pics. I'm loving the cockerels.
My idea was to take an Isabella and turn all the straw/gold tones to white so basically just a lavender and white bird. I thought it would be a crisp cleaner look.
Imo it absolutely is.
Aren't a lot of people having trouble with the Isabella's that are commercially available out there? I thought I heard something about a terminal gene.

Aren't a lot of people having trouble with the Isabella's that are commercially available out there? I thought I heard something about a terminal gene.
Yes they are and its not only the commercial ones.
Its not a lethal gene its an inbreeding issue from when the variety started.

Cackle hatchery quit offering them soon after they started because they wasn't surviving the shipping process. Thats when people started getting clued in.
I considered getting a few from cackle a few years ago but they never had any available even though they showed the pics on the website.

I considered getting a few from cackle a few years ago but they never had any available even though they showed the pics on the website.
Thats what was going on at the time. They had them but stopped sales.
They sold them for one year but was having an extremely high mortality rate trying to ship them.
They discontinued them because of it.
Soon others started reporting the same issues. They weren't sturdy enough for shipping and lots of others were having issues just raising them to juvenile stage.
They had lots of issues in the beginning but they were selling for high prices so most ignored the issues or denied them all together.
I had issues myself and from the start I reached out to anyone i found breeding them just over the wingpatch/fray issue.
No one would discuss it or admitted it was even there. Even when I pointed it out in their pics as well as pics of my own.
Breeders wanted to be hush hush since sells were going well.
I wasn't selling or had any places to but I couldn't get any cooperation from anyone.

@ColtHandorf
Here's a lavender silver duckwing cockerel.
20201207_160122(1)~3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom