The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Lol it took me decades. But I didn't read anything about genetics until really 5 or 6 years ago and I still read as little as I can.
I learned it as I went so it was just in bits and pieces with whatever I was breeding at the time. It's fascinating and I doubt I'll ever come close to knowing nearly everything.
I can imagine it would seem overwhelming to start from scratch and have so much info readily available a click away.
Idk I would think the key is to take baby steps. Learn something and then build from that instead of seeing the whole picture and expecting just to jump in and learn it all.

On my Christmas list.
Screenshot_20200910-212221(1).png
Screenshot_20200910-214931.png

Butting in here... I love roos too- but for some reason my hatches are always way skewed to roosters. For example : 14 out of 16, 47 out of 65, 9 out of 14, 6 out of 8

What is up with THAT?!
I had a large percentage of males in my shipped Lavender Crele eggs.
Now that I have a pair,we'll see what happens.

Winter sucks. No new chicks suck.
I think to entertain myself here I'm gonna try to post a bird of the week every week.
It may be something I've never posted, posted as a chick or something I've posted and just feel like posting again.
No rhyme or reason particularly. Maybe something new or cool. Maybe something ive worked towards for a while or something I'm excited about. Maybe just an interesting mixed pattern. Maybe as a response to a past post as todays bird of week will be....

Do you still have the bird you hatched earlier this year that you'd been waiting like three years on? I can't remember the color exactly but as a chick it was a blue/grey/lavender striped puff ball. I think statistically you had to hatch over 200 eggs to have a chance in hatching one that exact color. That might be a fun bird to see all grown up.

Idk. That may have been a couple options.
One project ive been working on at least that long was with blue. I started with blue to make a few different varieties but my main "want" was a blue silver duckwing. I hatched a few different things with blue this year but ended up with three blue silver pullets and no cockerels.
As it seems to always go. The more I want something certain the less I end up hatching and then those are the ones something always happens to.
I lost my oldest pullet a couple days ago to unknown causes.
I really wanted a couple cockerels but hatched none. Of course I also hatched some solid blues and at least one cuckoo blue. Almost all of those ended up cockerels.

Another was with lavender. I also want lavender silver duckwing and have been working probably three years on those. I did hatch a few of those in both sexes this year so hoping to have a small group of keepers in the spring to use to increase to decent numbers.

What’s worse? Feeding day old cockerels to a snake or raising them for months then butchering and eating them? Ugh I wish you could tell the gender by the egg! That’s what I’m going to work on lmao
But late, but I don't see the problem with using day olds as snake food if you can't handle more than you have already.

Back
Top Bottom