Brown red ameraucana x with ayam cenami and white leghorn x with ayam cenami

Chey1214

Songster
May 4, 2023
Awhile ago I tried to hatch chicks from my first ayam rooster. But that’s when I stumbled on the fact a hen can hold on to sperm for 4 weeks!! So I ended up hatching Ameraucana x leghorn mixes. They were pretty cool no doubt.

What I really wanted to hatch was ayam cenami x leghorn.

My rooster is rough he needs his own pen he destroys my girls. So infigured I would quick add eggs to the incubator, just in case…..

Here are the first two that hatched….

The all black bird is a red brown ameraucana x ayam cenami I was shocked to see her all black! Almost seems like she got the ayam gene more.

Here is my leghorn x ayam mix. As well

One more is in the incubator already hatched (she had a hard hatch) and there is one more on the way.

How can you sex these birds??

Also before anyone makes a comment on my nails I know they look like shit :) well aware lol.

Last pic is the brown red ameraucana mama

Attachments

• 64080455-9347-4C10-8186-BC2D42BA9004.jpeg
    64080455-9347-4C10-8186-BC2D42BA9004.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 26841509-BC82-459A-BCD4-BBB05B2E3013.jpeg
    26841509-BC82-459A-BCD4-BBB05B2E3013.jpeg
    549.5 KB · Views: 27
  • A648CA44-F4B1-4548-838C-C955BEA1E9BD.jpeg
    A648CA44-F4B1-4548-838C-C955BEA1E9BD.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 25
  • B1E9ACD9-5AF8-4AB2-A590-CB5A13038938.jpeg
    B1E9ACD9-5AF8-4AB2-A590-CB5A13038938.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 20
  • B330EC0E-DB70-47A3-BBFA-20D115441FE2.jpeg
    B330EC0E-DB70-47A3-BBFA-20D115441FE2.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 19
  • B5302AB8-EF77-4EAE-95DC-C22707C8DCD1.jpeg
    B5302AB8-EF77-4EAE-95DC-C22707C8DCD1.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 382F8928-F6C1-4065-BFF5-63BAB5AE01F4.jpeg
    382F8928-F6C1-4065-BFF5-63BAB5AE01F4.jpeg
    378.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 8B15166F-EDEE-4278-B21A-F6AB87BB4BFB.jpeg
    8B15166F-EDEE-4278-B21A-F6AB87BB4BFB.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 21
Awhile ago I tried to hatch chicks from my first ayam rooster. But that’s when I stumbled on the fact a hen can hold on to sperm for 4 weeks!! So I ended up hatching Ameraucana x leghorn mixes. They were pretty cool no doubt.

What I really wanted to hatch was ayam cenami x leghorn.

My rooster is rough he needs his own pen he destroys my girls. So infigured I would quick add eggs to the incubator, just in case…..

Here are the first two that hatched….

The all black bird is a red brown ameraucana x ayam cenami I was shocked to see her all black! Almost seems like she got the ayam gene more.

Here is my leghorn x ayam mix. As well

One more is in the incubator already hatched (she had a hard hatch) and there is one more on the way.

How can you sex these birds??

Also before anyone makes a comment on my nails I know they look like shit :) well aware lol.

Last pic is the brown red ameraucana mama
I don't believe the ameraucana can be sexed, but the leghorn is a boy. The leghorn girls will have black skin

Your Brown Red Ameraucana is an Easter-egger. The Brown Red variety, confusingly enough, has no brown on it at all and is instead all black except for some red in the hackles of the hens and hackles and saddle of the roosters, the same pattern as on the much more fittingly named Black Copper Marans. Your bird appears to be some sort of partridge-based mix of color genetics, so not pure for any variety of Ameraucana, recognized or not.

Cemani are extended black for plumage and have a gene that makes their skin and flesh dark. Both traits are very dominant, so the chick ends up expressing those over the other parent's genes except in the case where something more dominant is present. More than likely, you'll see color leak through in its plumage as it feathers in, however, rather than being pure black like a Cemani.

I'm assuming the Leghorn is White based on the chick. White Leghorns are white due to the dominant white gene, which will cover extended black but let flecks of black leak through in chicks that are not pure for the gene, as you're seeing on that chick. As the other poster said, that is a skin color sexlink cross, assuming the Cemani is the father and the Leghorn is the mother. However, I would wait a few weeks before being certain on its sex. In my experience, dominant white washes the skin color out so that the chicks hatch with pale skin, but as they age the shanks can color back in. If that chick's legs start turning dark after a few weeks, then she is in fact actually a pullet.

But yes, the Easter-egger mix is not sexable. You'll have to wait that one out to see if it's a male or female.

Your Brown Red Ameraucana is an Easter-egger. The Brown Red variety, confusingly enough, has no brown on it at all and is instead all black except for some red in the hackles of the hens and hackles and saddle of the roosters, the same pattern as on the much more fittingly named Black Copper Marans. Your bird appears to be some sort of partridge-based mix of color genetics, so not pure for any variety of Ameraucana, recognized or not.

Cemani are extended black for plumage and have a gene that makes their skin and flesh dark. Both traits are very dominant, so the chick ends up expressing those over the other parent's genes except in the case where something more dominant is present. More than likely, you'll see color leak through in its plumage as it feathers in, however, rather than being pure black like a Cemani.

I'm assuming the Leghorn is White based on the chick. White Leghorns are white due to the dominant white gene, which will cover extended black but let flecks of black leak through in chicks that are not pure for the gene, as you're seeing on that chick. As the other poster said, that is a skin color sexlink cross, assuming the Cemani is the father and the Leghorn is the mother. However, I would wait a few weeks before being certain on its sex. In my experience, dominant white washes the skin color out so that the chicks hatch with pale skin, but as they age the shanks can color back in. If that chick's legs start turning dark after a few weeks, then she is in fact actually a pullet.

But yes, the Easter-egger mix is not sexable. You'll have to wait that one out to see if it's a male or female.
That sucks about the mother Ameraucana you get these birds from hatcheries and assume they are giving you what you pay for. What do you think of my lavender ameraucana, next year I plan on crossing them with the ayam. I got these at crackle hatchery 20 dollars a bird.

So your saying if the chicks legs darken and the skin under her wings turn black, she’s a pullet? I hope she’s a pullet I hope they all are!!

Attachments

• 469CA773-E376-4534-B593-146DA1BB3AD5.jpeg
    469CA773-E376-4534-B593-146DA1BB3AD5.jpeg
    490.1 KB · Views: 15
  • E408ECB8-A6A1-4624-AE0B-9B1D678102B1.jpeg
    E408ECB8-A6A1-4624-AE0B-9B1D678102B1.jpeg
    477.9 KB · Views: 16
That sucks about the mother Ameraucana you get these birds from hatcheries and assume they are giving you what you pay for. What do you think of my lavender ameraucana, next year I plan on crossing them with the ayam. I got these at crackle hatchery 20 dollars a bird.

So your saying if the chicks legs darken and the skin under her wings turn black, she’s a pullet? I hope she’s a pullet I hope they all are!!

Yeah, a lot of hatcheries are finally catching up on the Ameraucana thing (after over 40 years of the breed being standardized now if I remember right!), but some still stubbornly cling to calling their Easter-eggers as Ameraucanas for whatever reason. I'm sorry you ended up with a bird that wasn't quite what you were hoping for, but she is a pretty hen nonetheless!

The one in these pictures does appear to be a true Ameraucana, but she's Blue, not Lavender. Lavender is a paler shade of gray without that darker edging on the feathers. She's beautiful, too!

And yes, keep an eye on the Leghorn mix's shanks. The ones I had were Silkie x Cochin mixes that I had hatched to try making skin color sexlinks with my birds. All of the pullets that inherited dominant white would sex as males at hatch by their skin color, but I believe by around 3 or 4 weeks of age their shanks had darkened while their brothers' legs remained pale.

Yeah, a lot of hatcheries are finally catching up on the Ameraucana thing (after over 40 years of the breed being standardized now if I remember right!), but some still stubbornly cling to calling their Easter-eggers as Ameraucanas for whatever reason. I'm sorry you ended up with a bird that wasn't quite what you were hoping for, but she is a pretty hen nonetheless!

The one in these pictures does appear to be a true Ameraucana, but she's Blue, not Lavender. Lavender is a paler shade of gray without that darker edging on the feathers. She's beautiful, too!

And yes, keep an eye on the Leghorn mix's shanks. The ones I had were Silkie x Cochin mixes that I had hatched to try making skin color sexlinks with my birds. All of the pullets that inherited dominant white would sex as males at hatch by their skin color, but I believe by around 3 or 4 weeks of age their shanks had darkened while their brothers' legs remained pale.
That makes sense my lavender orphington is a pale shade, looks nothing like my blue ameraucana.

Can you imagine how cool the chickens would look mixed blue Ameraucana x ayam.. I can’t fricken wait.

The bantam ameraucana I got was advertised as self blue. (I have a thing for these lavender birds) lol

I’m so interested in chicken genetics but it’s very very complex!

That makes sense my lavender orphington is a pale shade, looks nothing like my blue ameraucana.

Can you imagine how cool the chickens would look mixed blue Ameraucana x ayam.. I can’t fricken wait.

The bantam ameraucana I got was advertised as self blue. (I have a thing for these lavender birds) lol

I’m so interested in chicken genetics but it’s very very complex!
Update us if you do the blue ameraucana x ayam cemani I love blue fibro birds for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom