The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Maybe? Maybe they don’t have enough pigment.

That would be interesting.

but females seems to be tricky to identify as good vs bad

Is there any reason for that? I know poor-quality Lavender Orpington males make my skin positively crawl. Usually with females I notice it in the tail pretty easily. I've also noticed the birds bred to an English-type don't seem as prone to exhibit the fraying. I wonder if that's because English breeders take the time to cross in Black Orpingtons, while most people breeding American-type Lavenders are just churning out as many horrible quality birds that have the right color so they can sell them for a quick buck.

That has nothing to do with what I was asking.
If someone has a group and every bird is clearly showing bad quality feathers your opinion/theory is that that group will never produce good feather quality birds whether bred together or bred to anything without the lavender gene?
Not at all.

lav^g/lav^g = Good quality Lavender
lav^b/lav^g = Bad quality Lavender
lav^b/lav^b = Worse quality Lavender

So if all You have is Bad quality Lavender it does not mean that you can't breed enough to get good quality Lavender

Seeing lots more chicks. So cute. What do you do with so many?
Make popcorn chicken out of them.
Saw a pic of bags and bags of feed. Is that really a week's worth? OMG if it is.
Don't know the pic you saw. Also my memory gets lazy when it comes to how much feed I go through or more importantly how much I spend on it.

Not at all.

lav^g/lav^g = Good quality Lavender
lav^b/lav^g = Bad quality Lavender
lav^b/lav^b = Worse quality Lavender

So if all You have is Bad quality Lavender it does not mean that you can't breed enough to get good quality Lavender
So two bad quality ones would in theory produce 25% good quality offspring?
Or a bad quality bred to a worse quality would produce 50/50 bad/worse quality which should produce a good number of good quality the next generation if you used only the bad quality ones?

So two bad quality ones would in theory produce 25% good quality offspring?
Or a bad quality bred to a worse quality would produce 50/50 bad/worse quality which should produce a good number of good quality the next generation if you used only the bad quality ones?
That is correct, as Danne Honour said, once you get a good one you are set. Since backcrossing to good quality will net you more good quality feather lavender.

Edit.
I've seen really Bad ones, but can't seem to find them now, really old ones from like 20 years ago

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what is the wing patch you guys are referring to ??? Does anybody have a picture or something as an example ? I’m just curious and want to know more.

My Lavender Orpington cockerel that I had had a HOT MESS of a tail 😂🤣🙈 but his wings and the rest of him seemed okay ? But I don’t really know much about genetics or whatever.

He did have like some cream/yellowish color come in on his neck and wings/back as he got older though? Is that normal in Lavs or an indicator of bad quality ? He was hatchery so I never expected him to win any shows or anything like that. He was just from my first hatch and I liked him so kept him. He passed away this past July though.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what is the wing patch you guys are referring to ??? Does anybody have a picture or something as an example ? I’m just curious and want to know more.

My Lavender Orpington cockerel that I had had a HOT MESS of a tail 😂🤣🙈 but his wings and the rest of him seemed okay ? But I don’t really know much about genetics or whatever.

He did have like some cream/yellowish color come in on his neck and wings/back as he got older though? Is that normal in Lavs or an indicator of bad quality ? He was hatchery so I never expected him to win any shows or anything like that. He was just from my first hatch and I liked him so kept him. He passed away this past July though.
The creamy stuff is leakage. Breeders will select birds without it to improve color.

Back
Top Bottom