The Moonshiner's Leghorns

918a5eb5f3f6b72d4d0fa91a033a4b82.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...n-thread-peanut-gallery.1437993/post-26012240

I think a lot has changed since you studied paint genes.
Not so much. I study it to this day, as I actively breed. My Connemara stallion (co-owned with Sharon Michael), Kaleidoscope's O'Really, has a white spotting gene. Markings of any kind in Connemaras are very rare, so the star and socks he throws are borderline scandalous. My breeding partner LOVES colored dressage horses, and actively breeds colored sport-ponies, we co-own several.
This website has a good, short rundown on the various pattern genes, as well as links to scientific articles, which are, sadly, mostly behind a paywall. I think it's worth paying for, but again, I'm a geek.
https://www.animalgenetics.us/product/Equine?productCategory=2 &productCategoryName=Pattern
Do you have a link to any of these OLW foals that lived? I have never heard of them.
Multiples? No, as I said more than once, it is INCREDIBLY rare for one to live. You can try to find the article on the stallion I mentioned, who, as I said, was born without an anus but had enough intestine to get a corrective surgery. He lived long enough to breed, but I'm certain never became an old horse. I was in school when I heard of him and we were doing a unit on ethics of breeding. An instructor who was also a practicing surgeon at Cornell said that the rare foal can be saved with surgery if they were born with almost enough intestine to reach the outside, but even then, they didn't want to do it, thought that it gave people false hope (and, sadly, justification to breed them) and the horse would still have issues, and they were considering the ethics of even trying, rather than just putting the foal down. Which is what they do now, I don't think you could find a vet that would even consider trying surgery now, 30+ years later when we know so much more about it. But you could certainly call Cornell and ask, or try to find that old article. Western Horseman, early 90s. I'm not going to bother hunting it up, I just try to stay away from overos, not that you really find them even in colored warmbloods.

Genetics @Chookwagn , genetics!!! That's what we're all studying here, and pattern of inheritance! Speaking of impossible, I'd pay $1000 for a pied chicken. SO many patterns, and we have no pieds.

Back
Top Bottom