The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Like this. Mine is doing that lately. I figured it wasn't sharp so much any more. When I do them I try to make sure it completes the punch and then I check them again in a couple days to a week at the most to make sure again.
At that point ive found some that were kinda scabbed and didn't look completely punched. I peal it all off till I see the hole then they do fine.

compound.jpg

Like this. Mine is doing that lately. I figured it wasn't sharp so much any more. When I do them I try to make sure it completes the punch and then I check them again in a couple days to a week at the most to make sure again.
At that point ive found some that were kinda scabbed and didn't look completely punched. I peal it all off till I see the hole then they do fine.
They started doing better once I started peeling scabs after a few days, but it is hard to get out there and check them often when I have two young boys. I prefer the toe punch. I think I might have to put down one chick because I left a leg band on too long. I much prefer not using leg bands.

Hatch day today.
All the toe punch talk and now ive lost my one and only punch.
Looked on Amazon but none would arrive in a timely matter.
Now what? Anyone know how late you can toe punch? Option A is zip tie and punch later. It'll take up to two weeks to get the new punch. Thats seems kinda late to use it but I have no clue.
Option B is use toe nail clippers and cut a small slice into the web instead a hole. IDK that doesn't sound any more extreme then punching a hole.
Any used that method?
Try to get some pics later today.

Hatch day today.
Now what? Anyone know how late you can toe punch? Option A is zip tie and punch later. It'll take up to two weeks to get the new punch. Thats seems kinda late to use it but I have no clue.
Option B is use toe nail clippers and cut a small slice into the web instead a hole. IDK that doesn't sound any more extreme then punching a hole.
Any used that method?
:pop

Well I plan on hatching all of them. But ya never quite works out that way.
I set 41 eggs at a time and usually hatch around 30 give or take chicks. Its been low to mid 90s here and I don't properly store eggs in a nice cool place so think those temps during storage may cost me a few. Idk they started hatching yesterday and by this morning it sounded like a roller ball derby in there but i didn't check.
I didn't keep track of whats in there. A variety though.

Hatch day today.
Any used that method?
I've heard from someone that they like using small surgical scissors and snipping a V in the webbing over punching because it is less likely to heal over.

Kinda think that may be the route to go. I think I have some small mustache scissors that would work well.
I've never talked to anyone that does it that way but I've seen diagrams showing the different web/ web combinations that you can do showing Vs cut.
Maybe one day I'll have so many different ones I'll have to do holes and Vs together.
How many combos would that give? Someone do the math.

Back
Top Bottom