The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Oh no! I hate when you lose something the moment you need it. Did you put it in a brooder by mistake? Or the bathroom? (The bathroom is the first place we check for things at my house.)

Do you assist hatches? Or do you follow the logic of 'assisted chicks are weaker and there's no room for weaker chicks'?

The hatcher incubator is on a top shelf in living room. On the second shelf down I have a bowl that I put change or what not from my pockets in. I empty the bowl often but always keep the punch in it.
I'm wondering if for some reason which I can't think of that it wasn't in there. Ive been using this system for a few years and if it isn't in my hand thats where its at.
My young son was trying to climb the shelf to see what I was doing when I was moving eggs to the hatcher and knocked the bowl off and things went bouncing off the floor.
There was a pretty much open floor and just a couple things it could of slide under. IDK ive looked and looked and looked a few dozen more times but couldn't find it. IDK but thats it. It was the only thing in the bowl I actually needed and needed in 2 days so of course thats what went missing.

I try to be hands off completely. Years ago I help sometimes but ya those chicks usually didn't make it in the end anyways.
Every now and again I do see an egg in trouble thats something that I really need or something new and after giving it more time I end up helping. Sometimes it ends well and sometimes it doesn't.
I really like to leave things alone and not even open the incubator until its time to take them out.

Kinda think that may be the route to go. I think I have some small mustache scissors that would work well.
I've never talked to anyone that does it that way but I've seen diagrams showing the different web/ web combinations that you can do showing Vs cut.
Maybe one day I'll have so many different ones I'll have to do holes and Vs together.
How many combos would that give? Someone do the math.
I think it around 100 different markings if you use both methods.

20200715_185126(1).jpg
20200715_185115(1).jpg

Had 31 hatch and may end up with one or two more.
Anyone recognise anything?
Black tailed red, silver duckwing, exchequer, white (unless you don’t have those), buff, lavender duckwing, light brown, barred lavender duckwing, blue, black,
It’s so weird to think those are Leghorns when there are so many red fowl in there.

Back
Top Bottom