The Moonshiner's Leghorns

The Brinsea Ovation 56 EX. It dropped almost 100$ on Amazon while in my cart. So I went through with purchasing it. Should be here tonight. Then to set up in my room and make sure it working.
So ah, put you down for what? Like 5 dozen?

Not yet. I have some chicks on order that are supposed to be delivered the 3rd or 6th or something of June, I think. I should probably check, lol.
So I won't be doing anything until next spring and since they're Orpingtons it'll take me a few generations to get all the other genes sorted out.
I'd expect it'll be 4 or 5 years before I could call them chocolate Leghorns.

Any suggestions on which way to take them? Solid chocolate? Barred, mottled, duckwing of some variety? Get crazy ..... chocolate tailed buffs?
I really like chocolate mottled and chocolate barred myself but silver laced chocolate also looks nice. I'm sure by the time it gets to that point you'll have all kinds of ideas on what to focus on or dabble in.

Any suggestions on which way to take them? Solid chocolate? Barred, mottled, duckwing of some variety? Get crazy ..... chocolate tailed buffs?
Ah, hell, Solid, Mottled, Barred, Duckwing, Chocolate-tailed Buff, Chocolate Nonsense, And then you could play with Mauve.

Not yet. I have some chicks on order that are supposed to be delivered the 3rd or 6th or something of June, I think. I should probably check, lol.
So I won't be doing anything until next spring and since they're Orpingtons it'll take me a few generations to get all the other genes sorted out.

I think mottled chocolate would be neat.

The Brinsea Ovation 56 EX. It dropped almost 100$ on Amazon while in my cart. So I went through with purchasing it. Should be here tonight. Then to set up in my room and make sure it working.
I've got 4 hovabators. I just started using the 3rd as another hatcher.
The 4th is an electronic thermostat model so I don't use it.
Couple days ago I bought all the guts from a hovabator that had gotten the shell busted. For some reason I didn't get the plastic grid floor either.
But anyways I have the missing parts and a wafer thermostat in my cart waiting to be ordered. I was gonna wait till Monday to decide if I needed anything else.
And then I bought an egg turner and oops then a second one. Also trying to wrap up a deal on an older hovabator that's ready to go. If I get that one it should put me at 6.
With 2 turners I imagined I'd run 2 as incubators and 4 as hatchers. But then I also saw a non functioning wine cooler for hella cheap not far from me.
Might just have to get it and make another incubator then run 6 hatchers.
I need to build about a dozen more brooders.

I've got 4 hovabators. I just started using the 3rd as another hatcher.
The 4th is an electronic thermostat model so I don't use it.
Couple days ago I bought all the guts from a hovabator that had gotten the shell busted. For some reason I didn't get the plastic grid floor either.
But anyways I have the missing parts and a wafer thermostat in my cart waiting to be ordered. I was gonna wait till Monday to decide if I needed anything else.
And then I bought an egg turner and oops then a second one. Also trying to wrap up a deal on an older hovabator that's ready to go. If I get that one it should put me at 6.
With 2 turners I imagined I'd run 2 as incubators and 4 as hatchers. But then I also saw a non functioning wine cooler for hella cheap not far from me.
Might just have to get it and make another incubator then run 6 hatchers.
I need to build about a dozen more brooders.
I just don't have the room. We still need to build a small barn. And I only have 1 acre of land so I have to be careful with my numbers. But I really want to hatch chicks as well, lol.

The 56 and the NR360 I have is probably my limit for now.

Now I need to get my test hatch chicks sold in 4 more weeks. Expensive growing out to 12 weeks so I can sex them better. Wont do that going forward unless its project chicks.

I would like to see some Blue Mottled Chocolate Orpingtons.

I would like to see some Blue Mottled Chocolate Orpingtons.
A Blue Mottled from last week.
We can call it a Blue Mottled Chocolate Leghorn, right?
20230527_201351.jpg

Back
Top Bottom