The Moonshiner's Leghorns

I got those eggs safely in the hatcher and hatched 11 out of 13.
A cuckoo lavender, 2 blacks, 3 silver duckwings, 1 silver duckwing possible split to lavender,1 unsure of and some buffs.
Anyways moved chicks today and wanted to show an oddball from my first hatch this season.
image000000_4.jpg
image000000_2.jpg

IDK?
Rooster is single factor barred, extended black/ silver duckwing.
Hen is barred extended black/ silver duckwing.
Hatched many chicks from them but none like this one.
The cockerels/roosters that are extended black/ silver duckwing always show some of the duckwing pattern bleed through but don't look like this one.
Did hatch some birchen looking pullets last year that may have been from same hen.
I'm guessing maybe this one is a barred version cockerel.
IDK if there's a birchen gene involved somewhere or if something is stopping the black from completely covering the hackle areas of these for some reason.

Well its turned out to be a horrible week.
I lost that little lavender silver duckwing chick last night. It looked fine yesterday morning then last night I found it dead in the brooder. Its always the most important ones that I seem to lose. That loss hurt.
Today I went collecting eggs and found one of my 55 hens I just started a project with dead. Had those hens going on two years now and hadn't used them for breeding at all. Now I put her to use and she dies. She look like she chocked on something.
But it all started the beginning of the week. I candled some eggs and had 39 viable and ready to move from incubator to hatcher. I stacked them in two plastic egg flats and headed to the dining room to the hatcher. Well half way there I stepped on a Lego on the hardwood floor and that leg took off and I busted my @$$ and eggs went flying. I busted 37 out of the 39.
The last two went on and actually both hatched today. Unfortunately one has a really bad leg and foot and it doesn't look good for it. The other seems a bit wobbly but think it may be ok. I haven't taken them out of the hatcher yet so I'll see.
Anyways its not all fun and games raising birds.
Just catching up. This was heart-wrenching. :hit

Back
Top Bottom