The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Checking in on all the flop-combed bird breeders: How did your birds fare during the Polar Vortex/SNOVID times? My fat-bottomed birds didn't do as well as I'd like.
Well most of my single comb males are basically dubbed, same with many of my girls which never happens here

We had 15 days in a row under freezing. Most being single digit highs and 3 that stayed below 0°. 7" or 8" of snow.
I'm seeing lots and lots of comb damage and lost 18 birds all together.
Not a good time here. How long until spring?
Oh I'm sorry about the birds you lost. We lost 2 and a third to a broken neck, but the two weren't cold hardy either

Couple of mine were old roosters. The rest were from my youngest birds hatched this year. I've got large numbers in large pens right now to cut down on how many pens I have to put food and water in per day.
In that one pen about half wanted to give up roosting and start piling at night. That was the issue.

We had 15 days in a row under freezing. Most being single digit highs and 3 that stayed below 0°. 7" or 8" of snow.
I'm seeing lots and lots of comb damage and lost 18 birds all together.
Not a good time here. How long until spring?
Yeah, we hit -9 here without the wind chill factor. It was below freezing for over a week and snow on the ground for about seven days. I think most of my males are going to lose their combs. Currently I'm at ten birds lost. I'm not counting eggs in the incubators that got tossed due to power outages. I'm sorry to hear you had some losses. The worst for me was the White Orpington male. I don't have a back up.

@The Moonshiner , I'm so sorry you lost birds. I do not miss southern winters at all.

Having lived in AR for a few years, after my first winter I was like "Oooohhh!!!! THIS is why southerners are so afraid of winter!" Give me my feet of snow over those nasty temp swings, ice and mud any day. It is just so brutal on animals and people both, nothing gets to acclimate when it's 60 one day and 7 the next. Here, it'll be 9* and I'll throw them some extra cracked corn for carbs and bring out warm water. Down there, I was hauling out the clear plastic and heat lamps and praying everything lived. Southern winters are so much harder.

Back
Top Bottom