The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Yeah, we hit -9 here without the wind chill factor. It was below freezing for over a week and snow on the ground for about seven days. I think most of my males are going to lose their combs. Currently I'm at ten birds lost. I'm not counting eggs in the incubators that got tossed due to power outages. I'm sorry to hear you had some losses. The worst for me was the White Orpington male. I don't have a back up.
I know not ideal, but I know a hatchery with white Orpingtons if you want

Need to be English. I know someone with them. And my Silver-laced carry the gene so hopefully I can produce some homegrown ones. But thanks for thinking of me.
Ah, yes, forgot there were English and american, and not sure which those ones are. Hope the silverlaced ones work out then

Checking in on all the flop-combed bird breeders: How did your birds fare during the Polar Vortex/SNOVID times? My fat-bottomed birds didn't do as well as I'd like.
Ancona male got frostbit points. Nothing else happened.
Most hatchery orps are american.
No, they’re just hatchery Orps. Common misconception. Orpingtons bred to the American Standard are thus
F137EC4B-32E7-4D84-949F-0DCB38FAA34A.jpeg

Couple of mine were old roosters. The rest were from my youngest birds hatched this year. I've got large numbers in large pens right now to cut down on how many pens I have to put food and water in per day.
In that one pen about half wanted to give up roosting and start piling at night. That was the issue.
Central Florida...

Back
Top Bottom