The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Yep
Leg color is a b!tch with black.
I finally got a black cockerel last year with pure bright yellow legs.
I set him up in a trio and for like 3 weeks that pen was only putting out blanks when I candled.
I was like f'ing great. Perfect luck.
This last batch I hatched 3. Hoping to get a decent amount of chicks before end of season.
He did have some white at the base of his tail that has spread to some white feathers in his tail. It's getting worse with every moult but I'll see how it all plays out.
Blacks here aren't so good.

Yep
Leg color is a b!tch with black.
I finally got a black cockerel last year with pure bright yellow legs.
I set him up in a trio and for like 3 weeks that pen was only putting out blanks when I candled.
I was like f'ing great. Perfect luck.
This last batch I hatched 3. Hoping to get a decent amount of chicks before end of season.
He did have some white at the base of his tail that has spread to some white feathers in his tail. It's getting worse with every moult but I'll see how it all plays out.
Blacks here aren't so good.
I do have a reasonable black rooster at the moment that has mostly yellow legs.... but my black pullets aren't that great.... getting some more eggs this week hopefully to have another go at getting some more black chicks :fl

There is a local guy who is selling up a pile of his breeds and I was going to try get a look at them before he throws them all up for sale.... he says it's a mottled cuckoo (barred) bird.... he has some explanation on his listing... ill find it and post it here
I was thinking that but mines not having so many tiny specks of black.
They do get more white with age though.
I have one that still pretty young that's almost solid white.
I would definitely believe those are his genetics.
This one I posted is cuckoo mottled.
20210719_192834_(1).jpg

I was thinking that but mines not having so many tiny specks of black.
They do get more white with age though.
I have one that still pretty young that's almost solid white.
I would definitely believe those are his genetics.
This one I posted is cuckoo mottled.
View attachment 2776126
Ok thanks .... I think I definitely need to go check out what he has...

Someone who’s always been a mentor for me is Mike Sullivan, even though he’s separated from me by hundreds of miles. I got my first pair of bantam Buckeyes when he was distributing them to youth so we would preserve them, free of cost. When I lost my pullet because she died of prolapsed vent with her first egg!!! (This has never happened before or since, maybe because I select for pubic width)
He’s always been very generous with his time and whenever I have questions about selection he offers his advice.
When a new strain of bantam Buckeye was discovered that could be crossed with the one I had with advantageous results, he gave me a cockerel.
He seriously cares about the youth and the advancement of Buckeyes. I’ve learned so much about the breed from him, and so much about other breeds from others!
That said, some old breeders are just grumps. I stay off Facebook because if you make any comment they’ll find something wrong with it. (But there are ppl on byc like that too.) I guess it’s more of a humanity trait than specific to one passion.

There is a local guy who is selling up a pile of his breeds and I was going to try get a look at them before he throws them all up for sale.... he says it's a mottled cuckoo (barred) bird.... he has some explanation on his listing... ill find it and post it here
He does look like mottled cuckoo to me.

I have chicks starting to hatch as I write this so probably be getting pics of them and getting them situated tomorrow before looking for more juvies to show.
BothAshamedIberianmidwifetoad-size_restricted.gif

Drip marketing is a strategy employed by many direct marketers where a constant flow of marketing material is sent to customers over a period of time. Drip marketing endeavors to create sales through long-term repeated exposure to its recipients of the goods and services that are advertised.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom