The Moonshiner's Leghorns

I've done three batches with the Hovabator from my Gold Duckwing project,Silver Leghorns,and Lavender Creles... nothing.I'm using the thermostat it came with and a backup digital thermo/hydrometer that @ChicKat sent me.
Plenty of clears,some stopped developing,dead in the shell,and some pip,but never hatch. I'm going to do a few eggtopsies tomorrow and see how they look inside.
The Silkies on the other hand, 90% hatch rate,same Hovabator.
I don't know what's up.
That is odd.
I've used hovabators for years and they do well.
Once the temp is correct I don't even ever check it again throughout the season unless I have a horrible hatch.
I've had a high rate of clears all year but I just roll with it or I'd probably be in trouble with chick numbers and would have to shut down early.
Can't be doing that.
It's odd that you had issues but the silkies did so well. I've always heard silkies don't hatch as well.
Somewhere here was a lengthy thread about hatching that was really informational. It think it was by sunshine Sally.
I'll look for it in a bit if someone else doesn't.

Yay.

If you ever want reliable broodies that are good to freerange/Don't need a seeing eye human, get some. Even the hatchery ones do decent brooding, the only problem is if they can, they'll disappear and then come back a month later with chicks
I've raised them before. When free ranging they remind me a lot of leghorns. Real difference was mine loved to take to the trees.

I've raised them before. When free ranging they remind me a lot of leghorns. Real difference was mine loved to take to the trees.
Yeah, ours go in the rafters since we don't have trees for them, but they have kept the finch population down for us too. Only have 2 nests this year unlike the neighbors ☺

N could it be the heat if you're not collecting right away? I left some eggs in hopes of my Japanese bantam going broody, and it's been hot enough that I got development with no sitting. Granted I think it turned to a bloodring, but still
Same day lay,collected.

My Bad..... sorry... I dont think of gold duckwing as Brown.... I completely forgot that..... over here they are just always called brown and the quality is rubbish.... (save a couple of breeders) I see all sorts of "brown Leghorns" advertised and they all look terrible or nothing like a brown leghorn.
Light browns (gold duckwings) are great quality and often shown, especially the bantams.

Light browns (gold duckwings) are great quality and often shown, especially the bantams.
Yes I did try get some hatching eggs last year from some breeders, but they wouldn't ship and I didn't get the chance to make the 6 hour drive each way just to get eggs...

Back
Top Bottom