The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Patience is a virtue.
That's probably all the pics I'll have to post all winter long.
Praying it's gonna be a mild winter. Last year was ridiculously brutal.
This might be too early to ask.

Are your MF chicks developing any sign of patterns?

I would think it would appear at 10 to 15 weeks old.

Screenshot_20211015-171810(1).png

This might be too early to ask.

Are your MF chicks developing any sign of patterns?

I would think it would appear at 10 to 15 weeks old.
I'm just having trouble getting ANYTHING with mottling.
The rooster I'm using carries one mottling gene and at least 2 of the hens do for sure. Others may or may not.
From those 3 birds I should be getting 25% offspring with mottling but I haven't seen one from this year expressing it.
That's just bad luck all the way around. I have everything else in place. Next spring I'm gonna start a second pen with a different project rooster that has or carries mottling. Probably a gold duckwing.
That's gonna mix some things up but I need birds showing mottling to get this moving faster.

Got a friend to help hold birds. The Isabel is a month younger than the silver. They came from different hatcheries, but is this size difference 'normal'? The Isabel is the same size as my Wyandotte
Where did the silvers come from?

I'm just having trouble getting ANYTHING with mottling.
The rooster I'm using carries one mottling gene and at least 2 of the hens do for sure. Others may or may not.
From those 3 birds I should be getting 25% offspring with mottling but I haven't seen one from this year expressing it.
That's just bad luck all the way around. I have everything else in place. Next spring I'm gonna start a second pen with a different project rooster that has or carries mottling. Probably a gold duckwing.
That's gonna mix some things up but I need birds showing mottling to get this moving faster.
What breed was used to get the mottling gene in the rooster?

I picked some up way back when they were about getting popular. They sucked so I sourced some from a couple more place. They sucked.
I tried to breed what I could to improve them but there was just too many issues to get around so I bred the closest to correct hen I had to my best buff rooster and have went from there.
I was already working on a black tailed buff and white tailed buff project. That project also had potential for red so on year two I threw that project in the mix also. Hence why I know some females may not carry mottling.
The rooster was a product of my first rooster bred back to the original MF hen so I know he carries it as does two hens from the same pairing.

Back
Top Bottom