The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Set up a new group today. I have a very limited amount of girls and I think two are laying now or will be very soon.
Female
View attachment 3116565

Male isn't exactly what I'm working towards but will produce some so...
This boy is genetically the same as my Big Floppy rooster so I can swap them back and forth or combine the groups.
As of now I have two pens that can hold both groups but not one available ATM to hold them all together.
Male
View attachment 3116573
That boy!!!

One sex would be all gold and one sex would either be all gold or silver/gold, right? I think males would be all gold? Which would mean females are either gold or silver?
Your backwards.
Females only get one gene so they have to be either or. Gold or silver.
Males get two so they can be either or or one of each.

So...
Pullets could be...
(Black) Gold duckwing
Blue gold duckwing
Splash gold duckwing
(Black) silver duckwing
Blue silver duckwing
Splash silver duckwing

Cockerels...
(Black) Gold duckwing
Blue gold duckwing
Splash gold duckwing
(Black) silver/gold duckwing
Blue silver/gold duckwing
Splash silver/gold duckwing

When you breed blue to blue you get black, blue, splash babies. I wrote the black so anyone can follow the black, blue, splash part. I put it in ( ) because black is kinda like the default color part in duckwing. It doesn't need said.
If that makes any sense

Could I ( theoretically ) eventually get to a light brown leghorn ( or something similar. Their colorations aren’t exactly similar to the BB red ) by breeding my white leghorn hens with my BB Red OEGB? I know it would likely involve a lot of convoluted, many steps ( and generations ) but would it be possible? My brown leghorn rooster up and killed himself and the only other roo with a similar coloration is my oegb named Tater Tot. Honestly, the only reason I even thought of this is because I saw Tater taking one of the leghorn hens for a ride and the only reason I had Iggy in the first place was because he was an “oops” rooster when I initially ordered a light brown leghorn pullet.

2DDFE380-19FE-487C-8600-C7739E180C60.jpeg

rip Iggy, you knucklehead

F56C93C6-674D-485A-84C2-69A7D2EF8A73.jpeg

Here’s Tater

F24B50EC-9CEE-45C5-A531-F9B3030BCC52.jpeg

And Winnett just because

Back
Top Bottom