The Moonshiner's Mischief, Madness & Mayhem

Wanting to breed registered but having issues with that plan.
I've been wanting kunes for years. The plan was registered only but when covid hit a breeder I'd been watching panicked and wanted to sell out in a hurry.
She asked great prices but wasn't giving any registrations. I grabbed up the two best gilts.
Figured it would get my feet wet and I could sell their offspring as pets and make them more affordable.
Fast forward I found a little registered boar and the breeder had several breeders.
She said she would have several future litters that would have unrelated gilts she could match for the boar. I bought him and needless to say she has yet to have any gilts for me.
So for now I'm still working with the unregistered females. Not many breeders in my area or anywhere close with registered stock. I really don't want to pay for shipping on top of initial price.

Wanting to breed registered but having issues with that plan.
I've been wanting kunes for years. The plan was registered only but when covid hit a breeder I'd been watching panicked and wanted to sell out in a hurry.
She asked great prices but wasn't giving any registrations. I grabbed up the two best gilts.
Figured it would get my feet wet and I could sell their offspring as pets and make them more affordable.
Fast forward I found a little registered boar and the breeder had several breeders.
She said she would have several future litters that would have unrelated gilts she could match for the boar. I bought him and needless to say she has yet to have any gilts for me.
So for now I'm still working with the unregistered females. Not many breeders in my area or anywhere close with registered stock. I really don't want to pay for shipping on top of initial price.
Rough.
I'm getting out, Kune won't be worth it soon (grow too slow, cost too much).
The registration is the worst part, their sop is totally ridiculous, has to have two wattles but who cares if it's ears are rolling off the side of its head (ugh🙄) then a gorgeous gilt with no wattles can't be registered (argh🤬).
The DNA place has people waiting for months to get their results which means they're feeding pigs out while waiting for results, and selling unregistered is out of the question for some people here.

Sorry for the mini rant🤣.
I LOVE my pigs, super sweet and easy to handle. I just sent one to the butcher. They have gorgeous red meat, lots of lard too.

Rough.
I'm getting out, Kune won't be worth it soon (grow too slow, cost too much).
The registration is the worst part, their sop is totally ridiculous, has to have two wattles but who cares if it's ears are rolling off the side of its head (ugh🙄) then a gorgeous gilt with no wattles can't be registered (argh🤬).
The DNA place has people waiting for months to get their results which means they're feeding pigs out while waiting for results, and selling unregistered is out of the question for some people here.

Sorry for the mini rant🤣.
I LOVE my pigs, super sweet and easy to handle. I just sent one to the butcher. They have gorgeous red meat, lots of lard too.
Sorry to hear you're getting out of them.
Pigs are cool so I have them for fun. I'm not expecting to really make money but it would be awesome to be able to keep them without losing money.
If I could maintain with them covering their costs I'd be happy.
Crate what you have left up and haul them up here.

Sorry to hear you're getting out of them.
Pigs are cool so I have them for fun. I'm not expecting to really make money but it would be awesome to be able to keep them without losing money.
If I could maintain with them covering their costs I'd be happy.
Crate what you have left up and haul them up here.
Yeah, i don't want to get out, not even a little. I will always have some piggies around though, they're a ridiculous little animal to keep, I love them😆
You'd love my remaining pigs, tapeka high whites, ginger and black, belted ginger and black, black and white, and a cream gilt that is to DIE for, the cream gilt makes me want to have a pet pig.
You can definitely cover maintaining them, everyone will want them. Even if their price goes down or nobody wants to eat them. They're the sweetest things, I am seriously considering just having two for pets.

Ya. When I went in to check on those they all jumped up grunting and ran right up to me. I had to do a sneak attack to even keep them far enough away to get a pic or two.
Such easy keepers too compared to other livestock.
Well dang it, now I want to try one. I've never heard of a friendly pig around here. Just 4H fatties and meat boars (*sigh* yes, boars, not the wethered ones. My neighbor is an idiot)

How big do they get?

This cute man (My Hammy - Sorry Moony) is Papa. He is double wattled and registered. Also beyond adorable.
20211011_173818.jpg

Back
Top Bottom