The more I read and learn, the more I'm turned away

I want to comment on the salmonella issue. A while back, there were egg recalls due to a salmonella outbreak in a huge egg production place. In that place, there were found dead, rotting chicken carcasses, vermin, and filth. Obviously a breeding ground for problems like that. Don't let dead, rotting birds pile up, try to keep the rats to a minimum and maybe the filth, too. I even eat raw cookie dough and have never gotten sick.

Even though I'm not the OP, I appreciate all these answers! I'm just beginning research and nothing concrete may ever happen, or if it does, it'll be a couple of years from now. I'm curious about the small children portion of that, too, Cindy in PA. Did you find your time or energy strained? Budget? These are huge considerations for me.

Unlike the OP, I didn't even think about disease. That was a good point, OP!! My husband brought up chicken lice, but I honestly thought he was just coming up with reasons why chickens are a bad idea. (Did I mention I JUST started my research??) Now I know he had a valid concern. AND now I know what to say!

Like several others, I haven’t experienced any diseases or parasites with my chickens. When I was growing up on the farm, Dad may have treated for lice two or three times over a 20 year period.

There is often a big difference in what might possibly happen and what absolutely without a shadow of a doubt happen 100% of each and every time. Sometime today a piece of space junk may fall out of the sky and hit your house, you may be involved in a fender-bender, or the sun might shine. There are different odds of these things happening. Don’t overstress about things that are not likely to happen and take reasonable precautions against things that are more likely, such as pay attention when you are driving.

Any animal is a potential carrier of something, deer, rabbits or ducks that hunters bring home, your household pet dogs or cats, or your backyard chickens. A vast majority of the time people do not get sick from these things, especially if they take reasonable precautions such as washing their hands. As was mentioned, most diseases or parasites are pretty species specific to start with so they really don’t present much of a danger to you, your family, or your other pets.

In my opinion, you can be so scared of risk that you spend your life huddled in bed under the covers, but even then you can get bedsores that get infected and kill you. Life is going to have some risks. Manage the ones that concern you and get on with life. If keeping backyard chickens worries you enough to make you uncomfortable, don’t do it. They are supposed to be enjoyable, not a source of anxiety. It's not for everyone.

I was raised around all sorts of animals, domestic and otherwise. Occasionally I got sick, but no more than individuals that lived in much cleaner environments. The benefits, especially as a child, were the learning opportunities. I also got bitten many times. No scars resulted. That was made up for from riding bikes and playing sports; and the piano.

The majority here do not indulge in chickens for profit, rather it is a diversion, so look for benefits in that. The food products when realized can be plus and risk from those is minimal so long as you follow proper kitchen related protocols.

Even though I'm not the OP, I appreciate all these answers! I'm just beginning research and nothing concrete may ever happen, or if it does, it'll be a couple of years from now. I'm curious about the small children portion of that, too, Cindy in PA. Did you find your time or energy strained? Budget? These are huge considerations for me.

Unlike the OP, I didn't even think about disease. That was a good point, OP!! My husband brought up chicken lice, but I honestly thought he was just coming up with reasons why chickens are a bad idea. (Did I mention I JUST started my research??) Now I know he had a valid concern. AND now I know what to say!

I have never thought chicken raising was time consuming. Of course I went out to them everyday & collected eggs & changed their water & filled food if necessary. I have always used the deep litter method & only totally cleaned out the coop in spring & fall. In the first years, my husband had aunts that bought up my few eggs as soon as they were laid for $1 a dozen. I paid $12-16 dollars a month for 2 bags of feed & they free ranged. Never seemed to cost that much. I think it's a budget strain more now, as I don't sell eggs & feed prices are the pits, but it really isn't an expensive hobby to me. DH spends much more going hunting, than I do on my chickens and dogs! Go for it!

Thank you all for the replies. I feel better about it and actually found some 12 week old pullets nearby that I brought home today after I set my new coop up. I dove right in LOL!

Now I gotta read more about this deep litter method.

If practical, then look into electrified poultry netting. It will not make egg costs lower than store bought but can greatly reduce your bird replacement costs, especially if raptors are not too much of a problem. It does not pose the threat I though it would to small children. My 2-year old figured out how to beat it quickly.

Also try not to push your free-range forages too hard. Too many birds requires more and better feed. Six hens on two acres here requires only supplemental scratch to keep them in lay for 6 of the 9-month laying season while a couple dozen birds require a much more expensive ration and they can make a mess of plantings.

Thank you! Feed doesn't sound terrible, yet. I believe our county ordinances, though, are going to make chickens impossible for us. /sigh. My husband might be relieved though. He is not at all convinced. :)

I can still research at least. If we ever move, I'd be prepared.

Back
Top Bottom