The more I research the harder it gets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bruins, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Bruins

Bruins Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Frederick Co, MD
    I do not like to do things unless I plan on giving 100% . So I have been researching like crazy , coops , food , brooders and breeds . I started out thinking I wanted brahma because of the easygoing nature and looks but now I am for some reason getting drawn to the wyandotte .

Has anyone had both and can give some real experience about both of these breeds as they compare to each other . Any big differences in them ?

One of my biggest criteria is the the chickens are friendly as I run a daycare and I do not want the chickens being unfriendly to the little kids . They will have only minimal contact with them and that will be through the run fence. But I do not want chickens that will charge the fence and scare the kids .

I do realize that every chicken ( any animal for that matter ) of a specific bred will not always fit the standard and one breed that is considered docile may be mean in personality .

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I've had both, and both were fine. The brahmas were my absolute favorites - I raised mine from chicks and they, as babies, would fly up to perch on the top of my laptop just to hang out with me. As adults, the hen was a lap chicken and liked to be petted, and the rooster was a lap chicken but preferred not to be touched or picked up, which I respected. Not aggressive, he would just move slightly away if you tried to pet him. By lap chickens I mean they would literally climb in my lap while I was sitting in the yard. I have two daughters from the hen and they are excellent too. The wyandottes I received as adult hens so I didn't raise them, and they were fine too. Friendly enough, and would come up to me for treats etc, but didn't want to be handled. Neither breed was ever aggressive, both friendly. Brahmas are much bigger, if that makes a difference for you.

3. kmartinez

kmartinez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    I have both those breeds now. The brahmas are awesome. I have 5 of them and all friendly they will jump in your hand when u put ur hand in brooder so they can come out. I also have 5 silver laced Wyandottes. Beautiful but only one is super friendly the other 4 are very shy and prefer not to be picked up but Wil come to u for treats. I love both breeds but my brahma stole my heart

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by