The Most Influential Books In Your Life

deb1

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
NC
What have been the most influential books that you have read? Are there any books that you feel are must reads for thinking adults? How have these books impacted your lives?

If you want to list books about religion, that is fine.

I love to read so hopefully my library will grow because of some of your answers.
smile.png

Last edited:
For me, it's The Bible. Helps me understand why I'm here and stuff like that.

George Orwell's 1984. Best book ever in my opinion. There are so many messages in it.

That and Napoleon's Buttons, but I LOVE chemistry.
smile.png

Quote:
I think that it is fair to say that the Bible is one of the most-if not the most-influential book on Western culture

Quote:
1984 is a good choice and one that was required reading when I was in school. Animal Farm was good also to show how some can take power and manipulate others.

I want to read Huxley's(SPelling) Brave New World but I haven't gotten around to reading it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Not silly at all! Have you read Ingals take on her husband's childhood, Farmer Boy? I thought that was an amazing account of childhood on a 19th century farm.

Charles Dickens had an influence on me. He spoke out against injustices in his time period while still displaying a sense of humor. Most people wouldn't list him as one of their literary influences.

Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

and

Laura Ingalls Wilder's entire Little House series

have really shaped my current views on food, sustainability and self reliance.

Quote:
I keep hearing good things about the book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I will have to break down and read it.

Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" changed my life immensely. I was kind of looking for a way to be "simpler" in my life. After reading this book, it completely changed the way I look at our food-chain and what my kids were putting in their mouth. I recently bought it so I can share it with others
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom