THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

Quote:
LEghorn x bantam BR = SUPER CUTE !

I don't see a calibration mark on the thermometer--did it get calibrated??
hide.gif
Mine was and is off a bit.
hmm.png
How do you calibrate one on the card stock like that without getting the paper wet and making it swell, then making the thermometer look like it is off anyway?

When I quoted your quote, on white background, it looks like a copy and paste?

I had a problem with the PO smashing a dozen eggs; my complaint was I used one of their priority boxes so it should have been able to withstand the PO handling. I got a refund on the shipping cost, not the conformation though. Of course I resent another package to the customer, packing bigger and better, and cost me much more. sigh On the bright side the customer was happy.

THe PO was useless other than to be sympathetic. You always need to get to the person who can actutally do something about the problem. I called the customer service number, it's on the conformation receipts. YOu might try the usps web site for the number or as your local po for the number. I had to press the issue. GL

I always double-box my shipments so that any super-smash action doesn't actually get to the eggs. If you make sure the eggs are fat-side up in the inside #4 box, unable to move and well-cushioned, then cushion that box firmly inside a #7 box, it works perfectly, I use packing materials from other shipments I get from work, but you can get free biodegradeable 'peanuts' and whatnot from lots of places if you ask around or post on CL or freecycle. I love the air-pak balloon-type things for cushioning the inside box.

You're lucky the PO refunded anything- they have excluded eggs from insurance and shipping guarantees. Stinks, but I understand.

Here is the pic of our incubator. And a big thank you to all that replied to my first post. Arielle (I hope I spelled that right) thank you for the link.

Here is the pic of our incubator. And a big thank you to all that replied to my first post. Arielle (I hope I spelled that right) thank you for the link.

droolin.gif
Sooooooo pretty.... sooooo exact. looking good.... (too bad I haven't a clue as to what I'm talking about.)

droolin.gif
Sooooooo pretty.... sooooo exact. looking good.... (too bad I haven't a clue as to what I'm talking about.)

Thank you! This is our first try with the incubator so we don't really know what were doing but I figure with all that I have read on this site and all of the wonderfully helpful people on this forum I thought we would go for it. Some of the barnyard mix eggs are dirtier then I would have liked, but I have read that people have had success with less then clean eggs, so we went for it. I didn't want to throw them out without even trying them first.

Quote: How do you calibrate one on the card stock like that without getting the paper wet and making it swell, then making the thermometer look like it is off anyway?

Exactly the problem. The paper types were replaced with a plastic back because the paper swelled just from the humidity inside the incubator. I followed CHooks Chicks advice and bought new ones--the fish tank types.THe only way to calibrate the fish type is compare it to another thermometer that is calibrated ( it can go from 32 --the icecube test to the 212 boiling water test). Do not put your fish tank thermometer in very cold or very hot water.

Honestly, I put a bunch of them in warm water about 115, and let it cool while the thermometers are in it and look for variation between them. Not a perfect system that I use.

I started my eggs 4/23 at 7:30pm
My first time incubating
8 mixed orp eggs donated by BYCer Stoopid

you are on the list!

Can I join? I set eleven LF Plymouth Barred Rocks & three bantam White Leghorn X bantam Plymouth Barred Rocks on 4/24. It's my first time using an incubator for hatching...
you are on the list!

Here is an updated pic with the eggs I just added. I am hatching 12 Marans (some are Black French and some are Blue French, don't know how many of each) and 12 mixed of a Ameracauna hens and Wheaten Marans rooster. The ones with the "2" on them will hatch about 3 days after the Marans eggs. Sorry for the dark pic, I had to take it with my cell phone.

that's ok, I can still see the eggs!!!!!!!

Quote: How do you calibrate one on the card stock like that without getting the paper wet and making it swell, then making the thermometer look like it is off anyway?
how do you calibrate a thermometer anyway?

Here's my bator. This is the fullest its ever been!! 6 Marans, 18 Barnevelders & 15 Salmon Favs. Happy hatching!
you are missing 2 eggs!
gig.gif
oh P.S. you should not keep an egg next to the turner motor! the motor can cook the egg!

Thanks JavaGirl and Arielle for all your work
thumbsup.gif
. This is my 1st time hatching eggs and my 1st hatch along. Its been so much fun following the thread and seeing what everyone is hatching, informational too! Thanks again. Mary

Last edited:
Quote:
My argument was based on the fact that I used a priority box supplied by the PO and it couldn't hold up the the USPS abuse. I was persistant and didn't give in to the bad attitude of the CS worker.

I now follow the instructions you posted above. More expensive,and some customers protest, but the eggs arrive intact.

Oh and I did have a package arrive by the pony express in 5 days to a mid-west location--a good number hatched as they didn't travel over the belt systems of the USPS.

Back
Top Bottom