THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

Get this... I was just on the phone with my hubby and I was like.. "so what's you opinion on me try to hatch some turkey eggs?" Guess what he said.. " that's a good idea"
th.gif
... I am so excited! I get to try my hand at turkey eggs!
wee.gif
... So I think he might not know what he is doing here.
droolin.gif

Finally took a picture of my eggs.  Hope it's ok, I am lacking one egg in this picture.  I forgot to take the picture before I started taking them out..so, I started with 14.  
                                           Need to take that therm/humid. reader out..it isn't working right. I don't worry about the temp in this bator, it keeps it at 99.5 on it's own.  I know the humidity is fine as long as I keep the sponge wet.  I like the lower humidity, around mid 40's, high 30's.  I just re wet the sponge when it starts getting dry.  Then in lock down, I like it around 65, so need to put one of my many other readers in for that time.  I am seeing a lot going on in the eggs..veins..the four in a bunch on the lower right are questionable last I looked, so will have to look again soon. 

How do you do it? You only have 12 eggs in there, I see room for a lot more.

Who else's eggs are on day 7 today? Just trying to see who else is "Due" at the same time as I am.
lau.gif

I set the 13 BLRW eggs last Saturday.. not looking so good for them though (only 1 showing veins today).. even though the air cells looked great when they arrived methinks the postal service wasn't as kind to them as I had hoped...

I set the last goose eggs this morning (14 total) And the bad thing is that the goose eggs arrived with damaged air cells.. the muscovys will probably be the same way (I can't trust tracking .. so not sure if they will be here today, tomorrow or Monday)

going to be interesting to see what out of my shipped eggs ends up hatching.. but I'm not holding out much hope so far for the BLRWs

How do you do it? You only have 12 eggs in there, I see room for a lot more.

lol.. not everyone stacks eggs...
gig.gif

and yeah.. they are all good.. i pulled out 2 clears .. the rest are developing nicely... most are due to hatch next week.. hatch dates are the 4th, 5th, 7th and 9th.... one has a ? on it since my husband snuck it in there.. no idea which date it's due!

So now I can stack eggs in my bator? What in the world are you all getting me into? I gotta try this. I don't need to but on the other hand I have to make sure I know what I am doing if I need to answer any questions in the future... Right? LOL

So now I can stack eggs in my bator? What in the world are you all getting me into? I gotta try this. I don't need to but on the other hand I have to make sure I know what I am doing if I need to answer any questions in the future... Right? LOL

it works great for eggs that are set a couple of days apart.. just be sure to put the ones which are due to hatch first on the top at lockdown... (for quail it doesn't seem to matter if they are stacked and set the same day.. little buggers on the bottom manage to get out just fine)

when I hand turn I tend to shuffle them all around .. so it's good to have the set date written on them somewhere

Last edited:
Ok well I had more eggs come in the mail yesterday so they have been resting since and I will put them in the bator later tonight. I have 12 blue slate (1 is cracked :( ) and 4 of something...I'm thinking BBS Orpington (waiting on the swapper to email what they are) and 2 +whatever quail eggs I get today. I candled last night. Today is day 6 on my first set eggs. This is what I got"

Mottled Ancona- 9 good, tossed 1 clear (9)
Mottled Ancona/Dominique- 1 good, 1clear (1)
Golden Duckwing Aracauna- 5 good, 1 clear (5)
Aracauna/NHR- 6 good (6)
Golden Duckwing Aracauna/WhiteLeghorn- 4 good (4)
Silkie- 1 good, 1 clear (1)
4 quail....I can't tell but I'm not hopeful, they quail are still young just newly laying
EE's- 8 good (8)
EE/SLW- 4 good (4)

I have to say....I got the mottled anconas and the EE and EE/SLW through shipping and I have NEVER had this many grow and do well. This is the first time I had just let them sit in the bator for 4 days and not turn and I think it has paid off. I usually use half or more of my shipped eggs by the first candling. I am thrilled with the results. Will do the same on the Blue slate turkey eggs I set tonight and the BBS orps since they both had rough shipment.

crazypetlady, no its a barnyard mutt that hatched on day 28 I think. It was really sticky. I was letting my dog clean and dry her! LOL But my one little serama make frequent trips to the house where she drives my dog crazy.

Get this... I was just on the phone with my hubby and I was like.. "so what's you opinion on me try to hatch some turkey eggs?" Guess what he said.. " that's a good idea"
th.gif
... I am so excited! I get to try my hand at turkey eggs!
wee.gif
... So I think he might not know what he is doing here.
droolin.gif

We love our turkeys. Very different than the chickens. THe chickens usually go do their own thing. THe turkeys follow us around. They fly when they need, prefer walking at this point, but when flying it sounds like a helicopter just missing my head. WHen I need to use the car, my boys herd them away so I can backup and get out the yard.
big_smile.png

Ok well I had more eggs come in the mail yesterday so they have been resting since and I will put them in the bator later tonight. I have 12 blue slate (1 is cracked :( ) and 4 of something...I'm thinking BBS Orpington (waiting on the swapper to email what they are) and 2 +whatever quail eggs I get today. I candled last night. Today is day 6 on my first set eggs. This is what I got"

Mottled Ancona- 9 good, tossed 1 clear (9)
Mottled Ancona/Dominique- 1 good, 1clear (1)
Golden Duckwing Aracauna- 5 good, 1 clear (5)
Aracauna/NHR- 6 good (6)
Golden Duckwing Aracauna/WhiteLeghorn- 4 good (4)
Silkie- 1 good, 1 clear (1)
4 quail....I can't tell but I'm not hopeful, they quail are still young just newly laying
EE's- 8 good (8)
EE/SLW- 4 good (4)

I have to say....I got the mottled anconas and the EE and EE/SLW through shipping and I have NEVER had this many grow and do well. This is the first time I had just let them sit in the bator for 4 days and not turn and I think it has paid off. I usually use half or more of my shipped eggs by the first candling. I am thrilled with the results. Will do the same on the Blue slate turkey eggs I set tonight and the BBS orps since they both had rough shipment.

Hope the quail hatch for you.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom