THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

Sad. I'm pretty sure that I've got quitters. Will be doing official candling tonight. It's ucky. Down to 13 in the bator. Will inevitably removing quite a few tonight. I'm not sure, but I think I smell something a bit yukky... don't want any CO2 wrecking anything so I'll be peeking today before my daughter gets home. She has a tough time with letting go. I'll weep in private! Whaaaaa.....
hit.gif
Who knows? Maybe when we candle tonight, there'll still have movers and shakers in those eggs... but I'm not counting my chickens before they...err.. are candled.

Jane
Candled and it's a sad night in the potential Orp house. It's night 14 and I'm truly believing that we'll not have any hatch. I wanted them to be OK... I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything wrong, and I'm not done trying but yikes those were THE birdies I wanted.... (shrugging shoulders). I do not take defeat well.... Locking down on Sunday if there's anything to lock down....

I am only 5 days in and going crazy! Then I have a batch of eggs coming in the mail RIGHT after the expected hatch date for these guys
wee.gif

I'm expecting more chicken eggs by the end of the week. I am going to have to come up with a plan to incubate them. I only have the one incubator and it is almost full. I have some on top of the others for now. I really need to stop getting more eggs.

I have a quick question for all of you seasoned hatchers - I have the LG still air, with egg turner. Is it better to space the eggs out? Or is it better to have them all near the center?

I have a lock down question on staggered hatches.

In my mothersday hatch a long incubator I have 12 eggs (Down to 6-7) that are to be put in lock down on the 9th. But, I have another set (started with 18 down to 11) to be on lock down only 5 days later...

My question is. Will the lock down period hurt my other clutch? What should I do to make sure everyone gets the best chance possible? I can switch them to another bator until its their turn for lock down, does that sound like a good idea?

Stressing a little!
barnie.gif

I candled again. day 12 This time it was to recheck ?'s and clears and pull them out. This is the worst part so far for me. Out of 12 of the first ones we have only 4 left and 2 that are questionable, very questionable. I'll recheck again on day 17 right before lockdown when im taking out the others to switch bators. So 4 out of 12 look great. Two Porcelain and two Mille D'anvers. The questionable ones are both Millie.

Out of the second group, day 8. I have 11 still looking great out of 18. (Also D'anvers)

I pulled so many that were obviously dead, bloodrings or weird black dots that looked stuck to the side of the egg, one had 4 round black dots, two on one side and two on the other... Could this have been a double yolk situation? I don't know if ive got the stomach to open it up and check, but it sure looks like it the way the four round black dots are positioned.

15 remain... 50% so far.
fl.gif

I'm out. Candled my eggs at day 7 and saw nothing. Well, just the yolk floating around. Just candled again. Nothing.......Looks like the only one getting bred was the hen that is brooding 7 chicks. I need to check into this fertility issue. All ready trimmed the fluffy feathers on the butts. I will try and collect again.

Good luck everyone else!!!!!

I am so sorry to everyone that is not having any success with the eggs. I know how it feels. My first attempt was 0%.

uhm... is this better?

found him a few minutes ago.. as of 4:30 this morning (when my husband got up for work) he had only knocked off one of the loose pieces of shell... he's still pretty wobbly .. so he's probably been out for about 45 minutes now
Wow- Adorable!

Back
Top Bottom