THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

Ugh. I'm on day 18 supposed to be lock down but I decided to candle in place to make sure the air cells were facing the right way but I goofed I put them all slightly facing down its supposed to be the other way right? The eggs are on their sides but I angled them the wrong way I think so now I have to turn them the right way I think ??? Ugh. Or should I put them in a egg carton? At least then I know the air cell is up.

Help

Ugh. I'm on day 18 supposed to be lock down but I decided to candle in place to make sure the air cells were facing the right way but I goofed I put them all slightly facing down its supposed to be the other way right? The eggs are on their sides but I angled them the wrong way I think so now I have to turn them the right way I think ??? Ugh. Or should I put them in a egg carton? At least then I know the air cell is up.

Help
Put them in an egg carton. I do this and have no problems with them hatching out at all!

Well I am not an official Mother's day hatch along participant. I set a few eggs on April 19th and sure enuf at 21 days, I have a cute little olive egger hatch out!! (well the mom is an olive egger).

Well, my little Silkies are in a hurry. I have had two hatch. They aren't due until Sunday! 5 left to go.

Me and my mother went ahead and helped the one egg that was piping. After opening the air cell we saw that it was papery dry and some was stuck to a wing. My humidity was up 50-63%. He is fully developed and was nearly fully absorbed. He is now sitting in the shell laying in the bator. Not sure he will make it, its very very weak.

We went ahead and opened the rest. All dead, formed... dry membrane on the outside, once opened very wet, yellow fluids surrounding chicks. Maybe the air cell got to big durring incubation? Im thinking the humidity was too low for them at 39-41% but how can this be if people use completely dry incubation?

What happen with this bunch? I feel bad and very upset that I could have done something different. I have 11 going into a "lock-down" on Sunday and I dont want to make the same mistakes. Ive already risen their humidity up a bit in the case they too are getting to dry inside already.

:*(

Me and my mother went ahead and helped the one egg that was piping. After opening the air cell we saw that it was papery dry and some was stuck to a wing. My humidity was up 50-63%. He is fully developed and was nearly fully absorbed. He is now sitting in the shell laying in the bator. Not sure he will make it, its very very weak.

We went ahead and opened the rest. All dead, formed... dry membrane on the outside, once opened very wet, yellow fluids surrounding chicks. Maybe the air cell got to big durring incubation? Im thinking the humidity was too low for them at 39-41% but how can this be if people use completely dry incubation?

What happen with this bunch? I feel bad and very upset that I could have done something different. I have 11 going into a "lock-down" on Sunday and I dont want to make the same mistakes. Ive already risen their humidity up a bit in the case they too are getting to dry inside already.

:*(

if the chick had the membrane stuck to him it sounds as if he had made a pip.. then the fan of the incubator dried it out before he could turn and zip.. I'm not sure what kind of bator you are using.. so this is a guess.. but if it's a Brinsea or something similar you may need to use paper towels or something a thin cloth laid over top of the eggs when the next chicks hatch to help block the direct flow of the fan

if the others died in shell and were extremely wet and surrounded by an amber fluid then it means the incubation humidity was too high not too low

right now I'm incubating with a humidity of 30% and the chicks are hatching fine.. I'm dry incubating since it has been very wet and rainy here.. if I tried incubating at 40% i would have drowned chicks..

for air cell size... candle the current eggs and compare them to this chart

Thanks Yinepu! The paper towel tip. Im going to do that, that is exactly right. Its a brinsea alright. Thank you again.

I have too many Brinseas...............

and hate every one of them...

you may need to clip the paper towel to the tray the eggs sit on.. or weigh it down a little.. one of mine likes to blow the corner of the paper towel up to one side of the fan yet blows down directly onto the eggs when the towel isn't blocking it.. kind of weird how it works.. I know they have a "diffuser" in most of the models.. but the slits in it allow for the air to dry the eggs out too much since it directs too much of the air flow down onto the hatching eggs..

it's a poor design and you would think Brinsea would know better.. but I believe they are more concerned about their profit margin (lol.. can you tell I'm not a fan of theirs any more?...)

The little one didnt make it. Not surprised. Sad. So the first 12 all didnt make it. I candled the other bunch, 11 of them due the 15/16. All 11 still alive. Hope everyone else is having better luck and enjoying all those new babies. I cannot wait to see pictures! :)

Back
Top Bottom