THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

I vote let her be a mommy
jumpy.gif

three more of my ee eggs hatched today while I was at work. :) Up to four now out of six! Pretty good for eggs that had been in the fridge for up to a week. Two stripey ones, (with interesting varying amounts of silver on them) a dark brown one, and a completely yellow one with pink feet. (weird, considering both parents had slate colored eggs, but I'm really hoping that one is female!)

One question through; the babies are really knocking around the other two eggs. Should I put them in cartons or something? I don't really want to open the incubator and loose humidity, but they've been egg soccer with them.

The incubation tips on this thread have been awesome.  Yinepu - :bow .  I've actually copied and pasted some of your advice into Word documents to save and refer to. 

I've set up a voting page for the Chicks 'N Kids or Kids 'N Chicks (I can't keep it straight) contest over in the Family Life area since it's pictures of children and such.  Here's the link to the voting page.  The voting page contains a link to the contest page with all of the pictures.  Voting will run through midnight on Monday (I forget which time zone they use), and you can vote for up to three pictures.  Voting is open to all BYCers.

I'm looking forward to all of the chick pictures that will be coming (*hint, hint*) and have enjoyed those posted.

I don't have any eggs that I want hatched, and I am done selling chicks for the year.... but I have a pretty serious broody out there.  I'm thinking about caving and setting her up with some eggs.  It is Mother's Day, after all. :lol:

I voted

The incubation tips on this thread have been awesome. Yinepu -
bow.gif
. I've actually copied and pasted some of your advice into Word documents to save and refer to.

thanks... but most of the credit for what i have learned would have to go to my ancestors.. lol.. lots of poultry people... plus i think they spent too much time thinking like a broody hen! ..the rest would be from my experiments and dealing with those "new fangled incubating contraptions" as my grandmother would have called them

My Ameraucana hatched, no pips from anyone else. My 21 day is technically Mother's day. I like my hatches to start on Sunday night, my days off are Mondays and Tuesdays so I can watch all day

Ah Ha! So that is why my chicks get too dry sometimes in the Brinsea! Thanks yinepu. Usually if I run water through a straw into the bottom of the bator throughout the pip to hatch stage, it does well.

So, my chickies are on the kvmommy schedule. sigh. Long wait to go!
but
so
exciting
to
see
others
hatching!

Started with 35 eggs, 3 serama eggs were tossed for various reasons, 2 of my barnyard mix eggs stopped developing, 2 more of the barnyard mix were damaged due to stacking. So there are 28 eggs left, all looked good a couple of days ago.

if you go back a few pages I already replied to you about the humidity issue ... I guess you missed it

Yes I read it, thanks.
I'm just over stressed about my first hatch.
Things are good now. Temp 99.3F , 66% RH
I took a zanex and I'm not touching the bator
till they are hatched. If they hatch. :/

Oh and the air hole is open.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks. Good read.

Ok never mind. I am suffering from first time incubating anxiety.
I've been messing with the bator so much since I started "lock down"
Repositioning the eggs, layed them down, then put in cartons, then changed my mind
and took them out of cartons. Added sham wow, removed sham wow.
At some point I didn't sit the top on correctly.

My humidity is 61% and rising. I am walking away from the bator.
I will not touch the bator till after chicks hatch (if they do after all my fussing)

I will not touch the bator
yuckyuck.gif
Sometimes I tell myself the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom