THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

Sometimes we just need to live where we are planted. In my heart I'm still from Maine but the last time at my Mother's I walked outside and in October there was only silence. Complete silence. And a loneliness that surprised me. It was then that I realized how much I had come to like the piece of land we live on and the house that has never been finished. For 20 years I had been yearning to go back to Maine. LOL

i've always felt more at home here in Texas... lived up north for a while (Delaware and South Carolina).. could not wait to get back to Texas... crossing the state border felt like coming home

Oooh man, this is hard to choose!

Here's my cutest chick entry #1
love.gif

Well from what I thought was going to be a dud hatch!! The chicks proved me wrong! 2 were shrink wrapped helped them out they are doing just fine then the rest all popped out like popcorn. One is still trying to zip so if it hatches that will be 11 chicks so far and I still have like 7 eggs in there not doing anything but they were all moving at lockdown. We will see.

I am just thrilled with the ones I got!

My broody hatched 7 and then hopefully 11 bator chicks 18 total!
wee.gif

(Now to find homes for them all... LOL)

Pics coming soon!
Yep, pictures.
pop.gif

Well I think I did it. No more broodies. I turned the nesting boxes around so they couldn't get in or removed them all together. The first night I had hens bunched up on top of the boxes. The second day I had hens that were a little uoset since I'd go out at each egg song and grab the eggs out. Third day...... They were on strike! The breeds that are penned up laid, but the whole flock of birds that run together right now didn't lay. Except my OE, Shady. Such a good girl. I hear egg song going on so we'll see what happens when I don't go out to pull each egg out.

Well I think I did it. No more broodies. I turned the nesting boxes around so they couldn't get in or removed them all together. The first night I had hens bunched up on top of the boxes. The second day I had hens that were a little uoset since I'd go out at each egg song and grab the eggs out. Third day...... They were on strike! The breeds that are penned up laid, but the whole flock of birds that run together right now didn't lay. Except my OE, Shady. Such a good girl. I hear egg song going on so we'll see what happens when I don't go out to pull each egg out.

What's an egg song sound like? Mine that start to sit never say anything... other then a loud like, shocked purr when I push them aside to pull their eggs out from under them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom