The muddy mess in my run

BG Papa Rooster

Hatching
Feb 26, 2016
Upstate new york
Greetings from upstate New York I'm having a dilemma with my girls run they've picked all the grass clean in it which left it all dirt so now when it rains there in a big muddy mess I feel bad for them having to walk around in that mess what can I do

Can you post a photo?

Best guess is to find a way to put down a deep* layer of litter for them to walk on if they are to be confined in this run. It too will become a mess, unless you can limit the amount of rain and snow that falls on it.

* Deep being 3 to 4 inches to start, with plans to keep increasing it to as much as a foot or so. Good news is you will be building one heck of a nice compost pile as you go.

Is your run covered? If not, that would really make a difference. Our run is covered and we use the Deep Litter Method out there, mud is never a problem.

Thank you for the advice of the deep litter method but what should I use for the litter I had thought of filling it with gravel is that a good idea

We use grass clippings, leaves, hay, straw, old pine shavings, pine needles and other gardening debris. The chickens love digging through the litter for bugs and seeds. It breaks down into great fertilizer for the garden.

Thank you for the advice of the deep litter method but what should I use for the litter I had thought of filling it with gravel is that a good idea
Gravel not a good idea.

Here's description of deep litter in a coop but works (better IMO) in a run too.
Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

Back
Top Bottom