The Murder Mistery of Chickens

Have u ever lost a flock of chickens or half, in one night?

• yes.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Yes, it happened to me before

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, not an entire flock.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • I have not lost a chicken yet.

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Racoon, Fox, coyote.
Being the door was small leaves me to think less of a coyote, but not totally rule it out.
Fox will take prey and remove it and go back get more, also eat bird whole.
Racoon can run in family units or a pack, but also be solitary. Also eat a bird whole.
Chicken size door.. Racoon or Fox Is my guess.

It's hard to say what the predator was. If you have a game camera, put it up and then you may be surprised at the predators that roam around on your property especially at night. That is when most of the predators roam here. I love my cameras.
Last night.
IMAG0001 (3) 03.jpg

Nearly a couple of months ago outside my chick/grow-out coop a bobcat. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens.
DSCF0002112 09Rev.jpg

It's hard to say what the predator was. If you have a game camera, put it up and then you may be surprised at the predators that roam around on your property especially at night. That is when most of the predators roam here. I love my cameras.
Last night.
View attachment 2560651
Nearly a couple of months ago outside my chick/grow-out coop a bobcat. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens.
View attachment 2560652
I always enjoy pics from your night cams, @cmom, they are so mysterious and spooky looking, and I love seeing the wildlife roaming about at night. So glad they leave your birds alone, too!

I’m so sorry for your losses.
Fox is my guess... a mom & dad fox with hungry kits back home. It’s that time of year. We have a den of foxes in our neck of the woods. (One street over) Two of my neighbors’ four guineas just disappeared last week leaving only two piles of feathers as clues. I believe it was the fox family. We also have a Great Horned Owl and hawks (they eat heads or take entire bodies away depending on their size & size of prey) and bobcats & coyotes in our area. I see &/or hear them all. My hubby designed & built an automatic chicken door for us after a fox then later raccoon killed some of our chickens on a Wednesday night when we were at church. Now I can be away from home at dusk without panicking. GL predator proofing your coop/run.

I’m so sorry for your losses.
Fox is my guess... a mom & dad fox with hungry kits back home. It’s that time of year. We have a den of foxes in our neck of the woods. (One street over) Two of my neighbors’ four guineas just disappeared last week leaving only two piles of feathers as clues. I believe it was the fox family. We also have a Great Horned Owl and hawks (they eat heads or take entire bodies away depending on their size & size of prey) and bobcats & coyotes in our area. I see &/or hear them all. My hubby designed & built an automatic chicken door for us after a fox then later raccoon killed some of our chickens on a Wednesday night when we were at church. Now I can be away from home at dusk without panicking. GL predator proofing your coop/run.
I'm sorry for your losses, too. Good hubby for designing & building the auto door. These are also available commercially for those eho are not handy.

Back
Top Bottom