The mystery of the furry chickens (not silkies!)...

fletchkatie

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2015
Hello! We have 14 4week-old chicks hatched from eggs from different breeders.they all seem very healthy and active, are growing well and getting their grown-up plumage. However, 2 out of our 3 Welsummer chicks are feathering you very strangely- their wing feathers look ragged but the rest of their “teenage” feathers look like a coarser version of chick fluff rather than normal feathers. I have watched very carefully and I don’t think they are being pecked/ bullied by the others. One is a roo and the other a pullet. Their “brother” has normal feathers. Is this some kind of vitamin deficiency? They don’t have mites (hatched from eggs, kept indoors and have carefully checked), and it seems odd that only 2 of the flock, both from the same source, should have this issue. Could it be genetic? Will they always be fluffy or at their next moult might they make “normal” feathers?? Any help greatly appreciated- I have never seen a chick like this before! Will keep at least the pullet anyway as backyard flock rather than breeder! Opinions gratefully received! Thank you

Attachments

• 93F0175B-0810-4FA7-BE95-33FF429F4332.jpeg
    93F0175B-0810-4FA7-BE95-33FF429F4332.jpeg
    559.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 795FB420-C0BE-48D3-A9D5-E354404B28C3.jpeg
    795FB420-C0BE-48D3-A9D5-E354404B28C3.jpeg
    782.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 3BA89D28-98B5-4912-AFC3-754F850638C0.jpeg
    3BA89D28-98B5-4912-AFC3-754F850638C0.jpeg
    589.4 KB · Views: 24
  • EADCD354-5402-4F0B-84D9-A730BA3E76DB.jpeg
    EADCD354-5402-4F0B-84D9-A730BA3E76DB.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 26
Your chick has silked feathering, so it can't be a pure Welsummer. Could have crossed with a silkie. But Hedamoras also have silk feathering which is a trait for the breed. It will be a pretty chicken.

There is also the possibility of feather shaft mites.
Could this develop in indoor hatched chicks with no older chicks to pass it on? Seems odd that only 2 chicks have it and all the others (from different breeders) would be ok. I did have a careful look around the vent etc for signs of mites anyway, but did not see anything obvious. I gather these are tricky to treat - any tips to try? Thanks.

So I have inspected these 2 very carefully - there don’t seem to be any visible areas of skin irritation and the feather abnormality is literally every single feather being totally “silkie” like, rather than the patchiness which seems to be characteristic of feather shaft mite. If this isn’t some sort of nutritional deficiency, I think it must be genetic and maybe both parents were welsummer x silkies or something like that. Odd though - the colouring is otherwise spot on for a welsummer! Any other insights/ similar stories welcome! Thanks.

it does indeed look like you've got silkied birds. please post more pics as they grow. I'd love to see them

Hello! We have 14 4week-old chicks hatched from eggs from different breeders.they all seem very healthy and active, are growing well and getting their grown-up plumage. However, 2 out of our 3 Welsummer chicks are feathering you very strangely- their wing feathers look ragged but the rest of their “teenage” feathers look like a coarser version of chick fluff rather than normal feathers. I have watched very carefully and I don’t think they are being pecked/ bullied by the others. One is a roo and the other a pullet. Their “brother” has normal feathers. Is this some kind of vitamin deficiency? They don’t have mites (hatched from eggs, kept indoors and have carefully checked), and it seems odd that only 2 of the flock, both from the same source, should have this issue. Could it be genetic? Will they always be fluffy or at their next moult might they make “normal” feathers?? Any help greatly appreciated- I have never seen a chick like this before! Will keep at least the pullet anyway as backyard flock rather than breeder! Opinions gratefully received! Thank you
If this is really a spontaneous mutation, you should definitely try to breed them or give/sell them to someone who will, it’s extremely rare!

@Amer look at this.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies - they still seem to be growing well (now 8 weeks old) and still look like a Welsummer but with silkied feathers! Quick pic I took at chick bedtime Of the pullet but will take some more later... we still have the cockerel too but he’s a bit of a scaredy cat and always hides at the back😂
C3865A37-73C9-4C67-8B35-123794482756.jpeg
A765906D-0F3F-47F1-B8BD-8FCFB409ADF4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom