The myth of non-spill chicken feeders

Find my Broody Bath Time post. 12 four week old chicks having a bath while broody keeps the flock at bay.
What I cannot get video of is them hopping into my lap to get a crop rubbed and see if there’s tasty treats floating around.
Can't find it... Do you have a link? Or the thread name? "Broody Bath Time" returns nothing...
I miss the days of chicks hopping into my lap. Mine are pouty teenagers now, and above these things 😒😄

My current design looks like this. You can see how much of spillage there is:

View attachment 2359463

View attachment 2359464

Maybe I can make a design similar to those bucket feeders but rectangular and sits just outside the coop, where the current feeders are.
Your design should be fine if you extend the ends a bit more, I’ve raised mine as my birds got taller so they reach the right amount and even if they pile up the feed they don’t have enough room to actually scoop out the feed I have 1 pipe like yours and a regular hanging 5 gallon feeder bout 10 inches off the ground for 20 pullets 10weeks to 30 weeks of age . No waste. Here’s a recommended height I go a bit higher like stated previously

Attachments

• 2FAC0B2D-EB27-4BD5-A038-83E11D2E0DAA.png
    2FAC0B2D-EB27-4BD5-A038-83E11D2E0DAA.png
    216.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have zero waste PVC feeders and I mean ZERO waste. Well, minus the bit that I spill when filling. But I’m getting better! It took some tweaking, mind you. They still scratched out a ton of feed with the first iteration. Now it’s perfected AND I can fit and entire bag of feed in my setup (such a bonus).

First attempt: View attachment 2359644

Updated and perfected version:
View attachment 2359646
This is a good idea!

I believe these feeders simulate the same idea that the recommended bucket feeder has
https://www.dineachook.com.au/dine-a-chook-chicken-feeder-small/

I wonder how the inside of these feeders look like. There should be a curved piece bending downwards. Anyone by accident has a feeder like this?

By the way the lip idea is great but I found such lips to scrape off feathers from the underside of the chickens' necks due to constant friction.

Oguz

Back
Top Bottom