-The Mythics RP-

Coal was still checking the barrels. All of the ones he had seen were full.
He sensed a presence approaching the powder keg. It was a bird-person, full of fury kept in check only by an icy dignity. It had to be Ember. He stiffened, opening the barrels with a mechanical rigidity. He didn’t want to confront her after he had provoked her rage. He had decided that she wasn’t worth his time. That if she wanted to live in ignorance, he would just avoid her. But she is my sister, said a small voice. True. More than anything he wanted to get to know her. But not so soon. He didn’t want to talk to her.

Vhanya took up the signed contract and tucked it into her desk, closing the drawer with a soft click. A clawed hand raised to gesture towards the four, “plenty needs done. Ember, when I’m finished here, give them a tour of my ship. They can even choose cabins of their own, if they wish.“

The desk chair scraped against wooden boards as she stood and started towards the door, her tail leisurely flicking behind her. Gently lifting her hat off its hook, she straightened the black lace ruffles around the band and placed it upon her head.
“Unfortunately I have no special duty for you to attend to, Ms. Nautalis—do pardon me if I have your name wrong, your penmanship skills were… questionable. Once you find your, er, sea legs,” she chuckled at the irony, “I’ll see to finding you a higher position on the ship.”

Her yellow gaze turned to the man, Jintao, “now, it’d be temporary, considering the duration of your stay, but how would you fancy spending your time here as first mate,“ She said, her voice of a dry cadence, “you’ve settled nicely into intolerance of my crew’s current state, you might as well have a hand in their reformation, eh?”

“Now you, Lyra. I know a fellow, a good one too- for a pirate, at least- that has quite the talent as a surgeon. He’d be more than willing to school you in surgeonry. A pirate doctor is an invaluable role, I’m certain you’d always find work and… safe harboring, if you wish it.“

Stepping past the bulk of Ember’s wings, she opened the door, “speaking of the surgeon in question, I’m off to town. My connections are numerous, I must say; there are a few good sailors I’d like to forgather aboard the Quicksilver again.“

With a clicking of her boots against the deck, she was out the cabin and down the gangplank towards the crowed streets of Pirate‘s Cove, her head high and hat ribbons swaying gently, looking very much a pirate captain.

@-Shade-
@_-Captain BRM-_
@Lacy Duckwing
For a moment the small, recently-employed-party stood in tight, excited silence, all eyes on the noble Captain as she strode from her extravagant deck. The morning sun had risen to a dangerous height, and Tay dreaded the trials of yet another day of anonymity. But there were more grateful matters to attend to as well, such as the abrupt renewal of her hearing. The insufferable deafness had lessened to a wonderous extent, filling her with questions, but also hesitation, for times like this had come and gone. Often hearing left as soon as it returned.
The soft silence broke by a distant voice calling in the harbor.
Tay released a breath. "Well, there we go." She murmered, turning her cool gaze on Jintao. "First mate." She clicked her toungue and turned away, running a hand across her dry scalp. "I don't know what she sees in you, mate."
Nautulis readjusted her scarf and damp clothing in the relieving silence, the odd collection of the four allowing themselves simply their own thoughts over the captain's words.
She eyed the Harpy woman expectantly, taking an uncertain step away as she realized the rage practically radiating from her feathers.

First mate?
Ember glared mutinously at Vhanya's back as she strode from the cabin, black wings shuddering.
She turned her head sharply, fixing Jintao with a disgusted look. Her claws dug into the leather-bound book, threatening to smolder the ancient pages as heat pulsed through her arms and wingtips.
Perfect. Of all the-... just perfect.
"Keep up," was all she managed to say, good sense barely getting the better of her. The human wasn't worth her frustration- though the Captain might be. Regardless, if she wanted to keep the higher ground, she'd have to learn, for once, not to simply incinerate the problem where he stood.
The early dawn light washed energetically over the flaming red feathers lining her midnight wings, and she flared them sharply once, trying to shake the clinging anger off as she strode out onto the Quicksilver's shimmering decks.

"Ah."
Nautilus turned calmly to Jintao.
"If I'm not mistaken, you may have already made an enemy here. I'm not sure if I should be impressed or worried."

@_-Captain BRM-_
@Lacy Duckwing
(I'm sorry, I feel out of practice already. This is definitely 😭not my best)
First mate, Jintao wasn't sure he was fine with that. He had expected something a bit more mundane, such as a cook, just for his lack of a limb. He contained his disapproval of both her sudden decision and lack of democracy. Perhaps as a first mate, even temporal, he'd be able to establish some solid fundamentals. That is, should anyone dare to listen to someone who was handicapped without him exposing his past experiences as a first mate aboard the Destruction.
"You're not wrong about that, Captain," he said, with false approval. "I'll be honored with the position."

Jintao stood close to Tay. He leaned to her and whispered, "Neither do I." He stopped with that, as saying anything dishonorable against the Captain in her quarters would be worthy of severe punishment if not death.

Jintao caught the harpy's raging stare. Threat, he knew it well. Someone as helpless as he had been honored, and to her spite, it was the very one who had insulted her upon first meeting.
"Keep up," the Harpy didn't need to tell him. He nodded for peace and held back his remarks. She would seek to be a constant challenge to him; one that he might accept, should he rebuild the confidence he once had before his rebellion.

"Impressed," Jintao followed the Captain and the Quartermistress onto the open deck. Lowering his voice as he felt the dagger in his pocket, he said, "But I feel like 'worried' would be better put."

@RDchicken99
@_-Captain BRM-_
@-Shade-
(I'm sorry, I feel out of practice already. This is definitely 😭not my best)
(I thought you did really well. :thumbsup Sorry for how long it took me to write this out.)

First mate, Jintao wasn't sure he was fine with that. He had expected something a bit more mundane, such as a cook, just for his lack of a limb. He contained his disapproval of both her sudden decision and lack of democracy. Perhaps as a first mate, even temporal, he'd be able to establish some solid fundamentals. That is, should anyone dare to listen to someone who was handicapped without him exposing his past experiences as a first mate aboard the Destruction.
"You're not wrong about that, Captain," he said, with false approval. "I'll be honored with the position."

Jintao stood close to Tay. He leaned to her and whispered, "Neither do I." He stopped with that, as saying anything dishonorable against the Captain in her quarters would be worthy of severe punishment if not death.

Jintao caught the harpy's raging stare. Threat, he knew it well. Someone as helpless as he had been honored, and to her spite, it was the very one who had insulted her upon first meeting.
"Keep up," the Harpy didn't need to tell him. He nodded for peace and held back his remarks. She would seek to be a constant challenge to him; one that he might accept, should he rebuild the confidence he once had before his rebellion.

"Impressed," Jintao followed the Captain and the Quartermistress onto the open deck. Lowering his voice as he felt the dagger in his pocket, he said, "But I feel like 'worried' would be better put."

@RDchicken99
@_-Captain BRM-_
@-Shade-

"We shall settle on both then, yes?"
Nautilus stuffed her hands into her loose pockets, turning her attention to the hanging sun before continuing in a softer voice.
"Just had to go and make my job a little harder, didn't we? I promised to protect you if needed, and you went and jumped right on her bad side, of all souls." The Siren nodded toward Ember.
"If I get burnt to death protecting you, I swear, I will haunt you, Jintao."
She couldn't exactly be upset with the situation. Tay and Jintao had both been given some of the highest positions aboard, while Nautilus was simply another set of hands on deck. Still, she'd gotten them into position, and her stay on the Quicksilver would teach her what she wanted to learn, no matter what her status.

Ember stopped sharp before the main mast, turning on a heel and folding her arms authoritatively to face the trio.
"I will assume you actually have a hint at what you are doing," she said dryly, gesturing with a flick of her hand toward Jintao. "As first mate. Otherwise, the ship is as good as sunk. So most of this is just redundant information. As for you two-" her gaze flashed between Nautilus and Lyra "-pay close attention because I will only explain this all once."
"The rigging off to your port and starboard here and here-" she pointed to the coils of rope on either side of the ship's flank "-those control the main and mizzen masts. These-" pointing to the second set of riggings "-are the foremast rigs. The spanker rigs are located at the far back of the deck, and the flying jib rigs near the prow. We'll go over commands that assign you to those positions when necessary."
She turned again, navigating toward the steep staircase dropping beneath the foredeck.
Ember could feel Coal's presence along with that of the other Harpies in the powder chamber below. She was aware the Phoenix could probably sense her and prayed he wasn't specifically looking for her presence among the other crewmembers. The last thing she needed now was him riding her heels the whole time she was here.
(I thought you did really well. :thumbsup Sorry for how long it took me to write this out.)
(It's perfectly fine. I'm just glad it was done before I had to leave to church, I just didn't want to wait an extra 2 hours.)

@_-Captain BRM-_
@Lacy Duckwing

Nautilus stuffed her hands into her loose pockets, turning her attention to the hanging sun before continuing in a softer voice.
"Just had to go and make my job a little harder, didn't we? I promised to protect you if needed, and you went and jumped right on her bad side, of all souls." The Siren nodded toward Ember.
She couldn't exactly be upset with the situation. Tay and Jintao had both been given some of the highest positions aboard, while Nautilus was simply another set of hands on deck. Still, she'd gotten them into position, and her stay on the Quicksilver would teach her what she wanted to learn, no matter what her status.

Ember stopped sharp before the main mast, turning on a heel and folding her arms authoritatively to face the trio.
"I will assume you actually have a hint at what you are doing," she said dryly, gesturing with a flick of her hand toward Jintao. "As first mate. Otherwise, the ship is as good as sunk. So most of this is just redundant information. As for you two-" her gaze flashed between Nautilus and Lyra "-pay close attention because I will only explain this all once."
"The rigging off to your port and starboard here and here-" she pointed to the coils of rope on either side of the ship's flank "-those control the main and mizzen masts. These-" pointing to the second set of riggings "-are the foremast rigs. The spanker rigs are located at the far back of the deck, and the flying jib rigs near the prow. We'll go over commands that assign you to those positions when necessary."
She turned again, navigating toward the steep staircase dropping beneath the foredeck.
Ember could feel Coal's presence along with that of the other Harpies in the powder chamber below. She was aware the Phoenix could probably sense her and prayed he wasn't specifically looking for her presence among the other crewmembers. The last thing she needed now was him riding her heels the whole time she was here.

(It's perfectly fine. I'm just glad it was done before I had to leave to church, I just didn't want to wait an extra 2 hours.)

@_-Captain BRM-_
@Lacy Duckwing
"Like I attended it that way," Jintao tilted his head. He hadn't. His insult was a moment of disgust that slipped out before he controlled it. He had always known fair well to keep his mouth shut when needed, but after being of high position on the last ship he helped control, such a remark would have been expected.
"You do your best to protect me," he spoke low enough that the Harpy might not hear him. "And I'll do my best to ensure we don't have a 'fire in your honor.' In the meantime, once our cabins are decided, perhaps we-" he nodded to Tay to include her as well, "could get some practice dancing. I barely know how to hold a blade left, if you know what I mean."

Jintao stopped when Ember stopped. He gave a slight nod, indicating that he did. When she instructed the rest, he listened more to get familiar with the Quicksilver than for knowledge of running the ship itself. When she led the members below deck, he took mental note of everything. He had comments to add and questions to ask, though he kept them to himself in case it would arise further rivalry.

@_-Captain BRM-_
@-Shade-

@_-Captain BRM-_
@Lacy Duckwing
"Like I attended it that way," Jintao tilted his head. He hadn't. His insult was a moment of disgust that slipped out before he controlled it. He had always known fair well to keep his mouth shut when needed, but after being of high position on the last ship he helped control, such a remark would have been expected.
"You do your best to protect me," he spoke low enough that the Harpy might not hear him. "And I'll do my best to ensure we don't have a 'fire in your honor.' In the meantime, once our cabins are decided, perhaps we-" he nodded to Tay to include her as well, "could get some practice dancing. I barely know how to hold a blade left, if you know what I mean."

Jintao stopped when Ember stopped. He gave a slight nod, indicating that he did. When she instructed the rest, he listened more to get familiar with the Quicksilver than for knowledge of running the ship itself. When she led the members below deck, he took mental note of everything. He had comments to add and questions to ask, though he kept them to himself in case it would arise further rivalry.

@_-Captain BRM-_
@-Shade-
Tay took in a long breath and followed the salty creature with a hesitant gait.
"For certain, Jin, but below decks. We can waste the afternoon on it. Anything to escape the sun."
Her skin shone pale and grayed, and already she could feel the suns threat to sink in dreadful blisters. The bite of heat sent shivers and memories, coaxing panic forward. She didn't want to be on a ship. Trapped. Trapped.
Tay squelched the emotions, ashamed as even now tears threatened to drop.
She looked down, breathing in sensibility with the fresh air.
It was the claustrophobic moments which she dreaded.
Where there would be no fresh air to breath.

The tavern air hung heavy with the acrid scent of hard liquor and sweat. Early morning sun peeked through the haze and settled on the faces of sailors nursing their cups, staving off predawn hangovers with even more alcohol.
A human man sat at a small table, the lack of empty glasses around him prominent- he never drank- instead, he held a small hand of cards; playing a game of My Sow’s Pigg’d with another fellow across from him.
Vhanya sidled up behind his chair and tapped him lightly on his shoulder, “good day, Cyrus,” said she, sweeping off her hat in greeting.
The man was Cyrus Bailey, her grandfather’s surgeon and dear friend. He’d left the Quicksilver to start a crew of his own, Vhanya heard of his returning to the Cove a month back.
He turned a ruddy face around calmly, too sharp a mind to be caught off guard, “Vhanya, my girl! How goes it?” He shooed away his companion, who obliged save for a few grumbles.
Hooking the now empty chair neatly with her boot, she sat down across from Bailey, “you’ve not aged a day,” she grinned.
She hadn’t seen him since she was nought but sixteen— she wasn’t lying with her flattery, either; despite being well into his fifties, Bailey remained spry and broad of shoulder, with a youthful twinkle to his eyes.
”Unfortunately, you have, Vin,” he replied, silent laughter playing at his features, ”by the by, how old are you now?” He leaned back in his chair, “more importantly, how’s our Quicksilver? I caught wind you changed nigh every deckboard on that ship. Perhaps a little drastic, don’t you think?”
Vhanya stiffened, fixing him with a flat stare, “don’t, Bailey.“ She picked up the hand of cards abandoned by her chair’s last occupant, “she’s setting sail again. Tomorrow morn, in fact. I’ve managed to gather a small crew, but I was wondering if your men would be willing to work aboard the ‘Silver.“ She batted her eyelashes in mock coquettishness, ”don’t make me say please, you know I hate to.“
Bailey laughed, leaning ever the further back, “it can be arranged, I’m sure,” he managed between chuckles, “they’ll make no complaints about serving such a ship- neither will I, I’ve missed her.“
“Still predictable, I see. Can you get them gathered by... say, sundown? I know that’s a tall order-“
”They’re all aboard the Meredith, it won’t be problem getting everyone situated.“
Vhanya grinned, it was her turn to lean back in her chair, “just splendid. Truly.“
She stood, setting down the cards, “I’ll inform you of the specifics once the crew is settled, yes?“
Bailey nodded, and they shook hands, sealing the matter. ”It’s been a while, hasn’t it, Vin?”
Straightening her coat, she lent him a genuine smile, “just you wait, I’m certain you’ll be sick of me in a few days time, eh?“
She waved goodbye, then started towards the door, trimly avoiding a puddle of what looked to be some cocktail of spilled rum and vomit. Cyrus watched her leave. Once the gray of her coat was out the door, he picked up his opponent’s discarded hand, flipping through the worn cards.
As he‘d guessed, he would’ve won.

The tavern air hung heavy with the acrid scent of hard liquor and sweat. Early morning sun peeked through the haze and settled on the faces of sailors nursing their cups, staving off predawn hangovers with even more alcohol.
A human man sat at a small table, the lack of empty glasses around him prominent- he never drank- instead, he held a small hand of cards; playing a game of My Sow’s Pigg’d with another fellow across from him.
Vhanya sidled up behind his chair and tapped him lightly on his shoulder, “good day, Cyrus,” said she, sweeping off her hat in greeting.
The man was Cyrus Bailey, her grandfather’s surgeon and dear friend. He’d left the Quicksilver to start a crew of his own, Vhanya heard of his returning to the Cove a month back.
He turned a ruddy face around calmly, too sharp a mind to be caught off guard, “Vhanya, my girl! How goes it?” He shooed away his companion, who obliged save for a few grumbles.
Hooking the now empty chair neatly with her boot, she sat down across from Bailey, “you’ve not aged a day,” she grinned.
She hadn’t seen him since she was nought but sixteen— she wasn’t lying with her flattery, either; despite being well into his fifties, Bailey remained spry and broad of shoulder, with a youthful twinkle to his eyes.
”Unfortunately, you have, Vin,” he replied, silent laughter playing at his features, ”by the by, how old are you now?” He leaned back in his chair, “more importantly, how’s our Quicksilver? I caught wind you changed nigh every deckboard on that ship. Perhaps a little drastic, don’t you think?”
Vhanya stiffened, fixing him with a flat stare, “don’t, Bailey.“ She picked up the hand of cards abandoned by her chair’s last occupant, “she’s setting sail again. Tomorrow morn, in fact. I’ve managed to gather a small crew, but I was wondering if your men would be willing to work aboard the ‘Silver.“ She batted her eyelashes in mock coquettishness, ”don’t make me say please, you know I hate to.“
Bailey laughed, leaning ever the further back, “it can be arranged, I’m sure,” he managed between chuckles, “they’ll make no complaints about serving such a ship- neither will I, I’ve missed her.“
“Still predictable, I see. Can you get them gathered by... say, sundown? I know that’s a tall order-“
”They’re all aboard the Meredith, it won’t be problem getting everyone situated.“
Vhanya grinned, it was her turn to lean back in her chair, “just splendid. Truly.“
She stood, setting down the cards, “I’ll inform you of the specifics once the crew is settled, yes?“
Bailey nodded, and they shook hands, sealing the matter. ”It’s been a while, hasn’t it, Vin?”
Straightening her coat, she lent him a genuine smile, “just you wait, I’m certain you’ll be sick of me in a few days time, eh?“
She waved goodbye, then started towards the door, trimly avoiding a puddle of what looked to be some cocktail of spilled rum and vomit. Cyrus watched her leave. Once the gray of her coat was out the door, he picked up his opponent’s discarded hand, flipping through the worn cards.
As he‘d guessed, he would’ve won.
(Oh man I love Cyrus
Also the puddle, what an interesting description)

Tay took in a long breath and followed the salty creature with a hesitant gait.
"For certain, Jin, but below decks. We can waste the afternoon on it. Anything to escape the sun."
Her skin shone pale and grayed, and already she could feel the suns threat to sink in dreadful blisters. The bite of heat sent shivers and memories, coaxing panic forward. She didn't want to be on a ship. Trapped. Trapped.
Tay squelched the emotions, ashamed as even now tears threatened to drop.
She looked down, breathing in sensibility with the fresh air.
It was the claustrophobic moments which she dreaded.
Where there would be no fresh air to breath.
"Yes," Jintao replied. "If the cabins are big enough, I'd like to practice in one of them." He wanted to practice somewhere privately. Should he accidentally drop the dagger due to his lack of familiarity with his left hand, he'd hate for there to be witnesses. They would only mark him weaker than he already was and make him the pun of all their jokes.
Jintao drew in a deep breath while he played back the jokes that he himself had made over another member's weakness on the Destruction. Some of them were called for, but many of them he now regretted. He was cruel back then, which was the only way to survive aboard the feared Man O' War.

@_-Captain BRM-_
@-Shade-

Last edited:
"Yes," Jintao replied. "If the cabins are big enough, I'd like to practice in one of them." He wanted to practice somewhere privately. Should he accidentally drop the dagger due to his lack of familiarity with his left hand, he'd hate for there to be witnesses. They would only mark him weaker than he already was and make him the pun of all their jokes.
Jintao drew in a deep breath while he played back the jokes that he himself had made over another member's weakness on the Destruction. Some of them were called for, but many of them he now regretted. He was crueler back then, which was the only way to survive aboard the feared Man O' War.

@_-Captain BRM-_
@-Shade-
"I will offer some tutoring if needed. I have a way with blades."
Nautilus smiled, shooting Tay and Jintao a smug look, purely for her own pleasure rather than expecting them to catch some underhanded message.
She glanced briefly toward the Quartermistress, hoping the bitter young woman wouldn't be set off by their murmuring.

Ember lifted a hand slightly as they descended into the hull of the ship. Firelight danced across scarce wooden crates and the tight rows of boards and spokes framing the sides and upper deck of the frigate. The Quicksilver's storage was mostly empty, save a few rather dry-looking supplies- likely nonperishable substances.
"The Captain sent a scout into town to request stocks for the trip. When the delivery arrives, I will expect your hands to assist with loading. For now, there's not much here."
It was growing harder to act like she knew what she was doing. She'd never been within the frigate itself, aside from leading the Werewolf to her temporary cabin. It occurred rather faintly to Ember she'd forgotten to remind Vhanya of her due conversation with the Mythic.
The next open space proved to be the powder chamber. Ember quickly extinguished her torch at the sight of the heavy barrels packed within the dim room, lit only by the glow of a single lantern. She was still doubtful of the captain's choice to send the three Harpies- two Harpies?- into the most cautioned sector of the ship. Especially with such a clumsy firebird like Coal with them.
Speaking of. The odd trio was still here, as expected, though only two of them were actually assessing the powder supply, and Coal's expression hinted with doubt. She could almost put money on the guess he didn't know what he was doing.
"You," Ember snapped, aiming a claw at the bedraggled Harpy. "What are you doing? Get back to work."
She turned a stare on Coal and the other Harpy- er, human? Why didn't he feel like a human?- her gaze remained as cold as usual.
"What is the assessment on the powder supply? Also, I'm going to need your name for the records." She directed the last bit at the Harpy/Human, her eyes narrowing slightly.

@_-Captain BRM-_
@Lacy Duckwing
@Isabella6Storm4
@Amer

Back
Top Bottom